Honored Contributor

Re: It took us 20 years to unpack....

Count me in as someone with MIA items.  We built this house 18 years ago (moved from England) and to this day, some boxes are still unpacked in our basement.  I work on the theory that, if we haven't used any of the stuff by now, it's not essential.

However, it's also not "stuff" that I could just throw away.  Spring cleaning time is coming though and those boxes are finally due to be unpacked.  I see some donations in my future.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat  - Your china is lovely!

I can relate. I still have boxes in the basement I haven't opened since we moved. I also have boxes of things from my parents' and my aunt and uncle's home (my mom's twin sister - they never had children). I'm the only one left. Still too hard emotionally for me, but I know I have to get to them. 

Honored Contributor

@KathT wrote:

@house_cat  Richelieu by Hutschenreuther? That was our china, too. I really loved it but rarely used it. When we downsized & moved last summer, I let it go. I mostly lurk,  ut enjoy reading the topics you start.

I know what you mean about not being able to find things after moving. We have things that are MIA & I wonder if we will ever find them!

Yes! That's it!  

I love china and use it often, even for myself at tea time, but I only collected 5 place settings and with the big family we had back east, it wasn't very practical.

It's nice to hear the stories of other posters with unpacked boxes - makes me feel a little better about it.

When we moved cross-country, my DH was working for Sony Pictures. They paid for the move AND sent packers to pack our house.  Everything was in that truck, including our two cars!  It made it easier for me on that end, but when I got here I was baffled by the way they organized and packed things. There was no rhyme or reason to it.  I unwrapped one package and found the ashtray DH used  in our backyard - it still had a cigarette butt and ashes in it!!!!

Add to that the fact that my DH packs the garage like he's playing a game of Tetris.  He fits boxes in odd places with no regard to their importance or if I ever have to reach them again. Hence, the garage re-do, which is obviously a long time coming.  My small house is currently overflowing with everything that should be in the garage. The work is supposed to start on Monday, and the stuff is suffocating me.  Clutter makes me cuckoo.

The most important thing is that I have to supervise how he puts it back into the garage, or who knows what could go missing next.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  Your china is beautiful and I am so glad that you found it.  I just did a garage reno and I am so glad that it is done.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

Thanks for the laugh. Think there may be more unopened boxes still to go. Think of it like Christmas morning open a box get a suprise. 

He also found a box of crystal items.  I was never fond of crystal and have no place for it or use for it, so I'll be donating it.  If there's another box up there, I hope it's full of cash!!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

If anyone is looking for a good charity, I recommend this one.  Scheduling pickup on line is super easy and they are very reliable.

IMG_0514.jpg

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

So Funny....thanks for the story.

The CHINA is just gorgeous.  It has that shabby delicate feel to it . I Heart IT !

Use it in good health and love.

Esteemed Contributor

That is a very funny story.  I can relate as we just downsized in January this year and I thought our marriage might not survive it!!  LOL   After 30 years we drove each other nuts through the whole process.   Purging and donating is a good feeling but my husband is one of those who wants to keep everything......   We moved into a condo from a house we built 16 years ago and he found things in the basement he hasn't used in those 16 years.

I said it's going and so are you if you don't knock this off!!  Of course, just kidding but it was craziness......

Esteemed Contributor

That’s hysterical. Glad you found it though. My DH and I moved and we couldn’t find framed portraits of President Lincoln. These were his mothers collection.  We lived in that house 20 years and deciceded to downsize. While packing the attic clear back in the eves of the roof there they were! Over 20 years we thought the movers might have taken them. Thank goodness we never accused. Enjoy your new old find. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Your china is beautiful! Did you miss it? I know I would have been sick about it, not knowing for sure where it was all that time.

I guess just another sign we have more than we really need. I know I stumble across things in the recesses of the basement, that I swear I got rid of ages ago. Maybe I did, and it walked back home! LOL