Respected Contributor

...to my washing machine. 

I'm really sorry to see it go. I've had it for 12 years--it's a Kenmore--and it's given me great service. But now I think we're entering the "nickel and diming me to death" stage. Yesterday it started puking up water so it's time to replace it.

The only thing I didn't like about it--and, really, was looking for an excuse to replace it--is that it's a front loader, which is really hard on my back. I bought a Speed Queen top loader yesterday and it's going to be delivered tomorrow.

I'm undecided about whether or not to replace my dryer too. I bought it at the same time I bought my washer and it, too, has given me 12 years of good service. Guess I'll wait till my current dryer moves into the nickle-and-diming stage and then I'll give it the old heave ho.

Funny how you get attched to something like an appliance but I am rather sorry to have to replace them. As I said, they've given me 12 years of good service but at least I know that they'll be recycled and someone else will get some use out of them.

Valued Contributor

Re: It's time to say goodbye...

@GoneButNotForgotten - I feel your pain!!!  My FORTY (yes, 40) year old Maytag died just after Christmas.  Since I knew it would not last forever (it tried), I had been looking aorund.  We had a washer in a beach rental that was acceptable and so that is the make/model I got.  Did not cost an arm and a leg and so far, so good.  BUT, I despise the locking lid feature.  The washer gets unhappy with loads of towels and the spin cycle and I have yet to discover a way to make it stop so I can open it to redistribute and balance them and restart!  I can stop and cancel the cycle but that presents a different set of issues.  I hope your Speed Queen is all you hope for.  I looked at them but decided I was not ready to invest a large amount since I am not sure how long we will be in this current house.  It's funny how attached we get to things.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm like you @GoneButNotForgotten .  I get attached to appliances, cars, etc.

Years ago when my washer went (with a full load and couldn't drain!), I was gonna just replace the washer.  However, I got a super- good deal on a floor model washer and dryer (had to take both) and the appliance people donated the dryer to someone in need.

Anyways, it worked out well and still love my washer and dryer!

Valued Contributor

Consider Speed Queen.  When I was looking for a washer/dryer, more than one salesperson told me Speed Queen was the way to go.  Apparently, Speed Queen makes the washers/dryers used in laundramats.

Valued Contributor

I think you will be happy with Speed Queen.  When we had to replace our washing machine I called a repair person who has been in business for 40 years to ask for a recommendation.  She said that the only brand she would recommend is Speed Queen.  We have been very happy with ours -- as has everyone we know who has one.  

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  I'd feel the same way if I had to replace my Kenmore W & D set!

Luckily for me, DH is good at fixing just about anything. He had to work on both from time to time. But these are 36 years old, undergoing a couple of moves in there!

Of course, we did have to send away for a couple of strategic parts.

Anyway, glad to know about the Speed Queen, because I don't think they make things like they used to anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had a bad two years with washers. First a Maytag then a Whirlpool pooped out ( multiple visits by repair people; thankfully I had an extended warranty from Lowes).  I think my newest: A GE without all the electronic bells ( remote start etc) seems to be OK 

(time will tell..).

Trusted Contributor

Re: It's time to say goodbye...Th

@GoneButNotForgotten  We sold our house in July and are in an apartment temporarily.  I so miss my washer and dryer.  I bought a washer and dryer with the largest bin capacity several years ago for that house and LOVED them.  They are LG's and worked flawlessly.  I too had a locking lid and it was fine, I could pause it, and it would unlock and I could do what I had to to and just push the start button and it would just continue on.  The washer and dryer here are small and very basic.  I miss my steam press cycle on my dryer to steam out wrinkles. 

My washer at the house was a top loader (I have back issues as well), the dryer had a cool feature.  You could either open the door via a side open (left to right or swap it around) OR you could use the top handle and pull it down and it would open down. Not a wash day goes by now that I don't think of them lol.  Seriously the best.  Those puppies could do my california king bedding and not skip a beat.  

Honored Contributor

Re: It's time to say goodbye...Th

one of our sets is a speedqueen......purchased about four years ago now. it is EXCELLENT. we had heard really good things about them and decided to take the plunge. it is particularly great for beach towels and heavy loads. yes, we replaced both because it looked nicer to have a matching set and both had a 7 year warranty.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

I had to replace my Kenmore washer in the spring it was 17 years old.  I started having issues with it sometimes it would work and other times it would not.  Thought about trying to get if fixed, but ended up buying a new machine.

I really wanted a Speed Queen, but the price was too high,  I ended up with a Crosley.  They are made by Whirlpool.   It is a basic top loader, no frills.   I purchase my appliances at a local store.   Told the salesman I wanted a basic machine with an agitator and top loader.  He was the one that told me about the Crosley.   It does have the locked lid, which took some getting used to.   However,  if something is off balance I can pause the cycle to open the lid.   One thing to get used to is how little water it uses.   My water bill has really gone down.