Regular Contributor

Re: It's starting to look like a house

Looking good!  It's really coming along!

Honored Contributor

Congrats on the progress!  What fun it will be...

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

If the weather cooperates, a house will go up fast.  We're watching one that we drive by on our way home.  The builders make great progress in just eight hours.

Dearie, you might want to read up on how vicious a coyote can be. I don't want to describe what they can do to a dog.

The one thing good about when we started is that we are out of the rainy spring season. Plus we should be under roof and have the stone exterior up before it gets to cold.

Valued Contributor

@ccassaday, please be careful with your dog after you move into your new home.  My previous place of residence had a lot of coyotes, wolves, etc. roaming around.  They can easily take down a full grown deer without any problems.  And they WILL come out during the day..(we had them in our yard several times, and also wolves)..

Hopefully the pack will be moving on before you move into the area. Predators will usually stay in an area where there's an abundance of food ,( i.e. squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, etc.) until the food supply is gone or diminished and then move on to another area..

That is one major reason I wanted to move from my previous home.  Too many wild animals, including bear and eagles.  I got to be afraid of going out in my backyard (we had woods in back of the house and all around us) because of the wild animals.

We moved 500 miles from there into a subdivision, and I like it so much better.

Just be aware of what they can do and always be prepared..Good luck in your new endeavor!! (BTW, The house looks amazing so far!)...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ptagirl wrote:

@ccassaday, please be careful with your dog after you move into your new home.  My previous place of residence had a lot of coyotes, wolves, etc. roaming around.  They can easily take down a full grown deer without any problems.  And they WILL come out during the day..(we had them in our yard several times, and also wolves)..

Hopefully the pack will be moving on before you move into the area. Predators will usually stay in an area where there's an abundance of food ,( i.e. squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, etc.) until the food supply is gone or diminished and then move on to another area..

That is one major reason I wanted to move from my previous home.  Too many wild animals, including bear and eagles.  I got to be afraid of going out in my backyard (we had woods in back of the house and all around us) because of the wild animals.

We moved 500 miles from there into a subdivision, and I like it so much better.

Just be aware of what they can do and always be prepared..Good luck in your new endeavor!! (BTW, The house looks amazing so far!)...

No worries. She is our baby. I wondering if they were traveling in a pack at our neighbors because he has two Goldens. I was reading they usually only travel in a pack when there is a bigger animal they want. He is super careful with his dogs. Especially after that happened.  He also says he sees tons of deer. That will be cool. Our house we just sold is in a subdivision. One day my mom was talking to our neighbor. He said a coyote was howling and when he looked it was in our driveway. There is never wild animals like that as we aren't even close to any wooded area. 

Tommorrow they will be backfilling and doing some excavation.  I think the cement for the garage and master will be laid sometime this week. Next week sometime the framing of the main level is supposed to start. That will be very cool. It won't be long and they will have to buy garage openers and windows will be in.

Valued Contributor

Sounds good! Everything is coming together quite nicely!..So you have a lot of deer in your new area...be prepared to majorly fence in that garden your mom wants.  We had so many deer, we ended up putting up a greenhouse, just to grow some tomatoes, green beans, peas and peppers.  Also make sure when  you landscape, you get deer resistant plants/ bushes..

I learned that the hard way...we ended up putting in peonies, everblooming daylilies,  lilac bushes, hydrangeas and butterfly weed.  The deer LOVE any kind of annual flowers,  hostas, tulips, iris, even my daffodils and rhubarb...they pretty much will eat anything if they're hungry...just to be aware... glad I don't have to deal with the animals anymore, but they are beautiful to watch!

Esteemed Contributor

@ptagirl wrote:

Sounds good! Everything is coming together quite nicely!..So you have a lot of deer in your new area...be prepared to majorly fence in that garden your mom wants.  We had so many deer, we ended up putting up a greenhouse, just to grow some tomatoes, green beans, peas and peppers.  Also make sure when  you landscape, you get deer resistant plants/ bushes..

I learned that the hard way...we ended up putting in peonies, everblooming daylilies,  lilac bushes, hydrangeas and butterfly weed.  The deer LOVE any kind of annual flowers,  hostas, tulips, iris, even my daffodils and rhubarb...they pretty much will eat anything if they're hungry...just to be aware... glad I don't have to deal with the animals anymore, but they are beautiful to watch!

I am pretty sure the garden will go inside the fence. But she might change her mind on a vegtable garden since they attract coyotes. Don't want to give them a reason to jump over.

Valued Contributor

We are on 16 acres and have about 3/4 of an acre fenced in the rear for our yard.  That is where I have my pool, veggie garden and some flowers.  The deer will not jump the fence to get in as they have plenty to eat on the outside, including my lariopes, day lillies and rose bushes in the front of the house!  

Your house is looking great, hope it continues to progress this quickly.  It seems like so much is done in the beginning as you start from nothing, don't get discouraged inside, there are many steps in the process but it is worth it in the end.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@ccassaday,

Your dog, regardless of size, will not be safe outside in an area frequented by coyotes.   Small dogs and cats are much easier prey, but since coyotes rarely travel alone, a pair of hungry coyotes or a pack of them will easily surround and take down a larger dog like yours.   

@RedTop  I have only ever seen a single coyote traveling along in several different areas around here.

Esteemed Contributor

Today my parents went to do cabinets. My vanity was fixed so it's all one level now. They picked oil rubbed bronze for the kitchen hardware. Same finish as the light fixtures. I think it will pop with the white cabinets.