Honored Contributor

Re: It's starting to look like a house

@ccassaday,

Your dog, regardless of size, will not be safe outside in an area frequented by coyotes.   Small dogs and cats are much easier prey, but since coyotes rarely travel alone, a pair of hungry coyotes or a pack of them will easily surround and take down a larger dog like yours.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@ccassaday,

Your dog, regardless of size, will not be safe outside in an area frequented by coyotes.   Small dogs and cats are much easier prey, but since coyotes rarely travel alone, a pair of hungry coyotes or a pack of them will easily surround and take down a larger dog like yours.   

The neighbor that was telling us about them also has two Goldens. They don't have a physical fence but a invisible fence. He said he watches them much more closely.  He called the DNR and they said they probably won't approach a big dog. But according to the other neighbor his neighbors German Shepard got killed by a pack of coyotes a couple of weeks ago.  Don't know the entire story. Maybe they were letting it run free in the woods. Chloe is about the same size as a coyote.  My mom said we will defintly be cautious. Especially in the first couple months since we won't have a fence. She won't be allowed out by herself anyway until a fence goes up.

Esteemed Contributor

IMG_3084.JPGIMG_3083.JPGThey did all this framing today. Seems they might be a little ahead of schedule. Framers will be back in a week and a half. I think that might be when the main level gets framed.  

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like they're doing a nice job!  Best of luck to you and the family.🍀

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

Yes, please be careful with your dog.  I don't believe in letting dogs run wild but many people do.  Not that a coyote won't come out in the day but in the areas I have lived they come out at night hunting and that is when you tend to lose your pets.  I keep my cat indoors and when I had a dog only out when I was out with her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Yes, please be careful with your dog.  I don't believe in letting dogs run wild but many people do.  Not that a coyote won't come out in the day but in the areas I have lived they come out at night hunting and that is when you tend to lose your pets.  I keep my cat indoors and when I had a dog only out when I was out with her. 

We aren't ones to let her run wild. That always makes me mad when people do it. She is our baby and we would never want her to get lost. She is on a leash at all times now unless we take her over to the apartments fenced in park. At the house if she was out front she always had a lead on even though we lived on a dead end street in a subdivision. My moms plan is for them to beable to go to my sisters for a weekend and leave her with me once the fence gets put up. But the coyotes scare me if I am alone with her.

Respected Contributor

Wow!  Those are large windows!  That is good for those that might need to escape.  Coyotes are not good to have around.  They do tend to hunt in packs, so that is dangerous for pets and humans.  You may want to look into coyote deterrents like moth balls, wolf urine and rags soaked in ammonia scattered around the property in the bushes.  Fences more than 5 feet high and 8" in the ground work to keep them from climbing over like larger breed dogs do or digging under them.  There are also coyote rollers that top the fence and keep them from climbing over because they roll when they put pressure on them.

Image result for Coyote rollers

Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

Wow!  Those are large windows!  That is good for those that might need to escape.  Coyotes are not good to have around.  They do tend to hunt in packs, so that is dangerous for pets and humans.  You may want to look into coyote deterrents like moth balls, wolf urine and rags soaked in ammonia scattered around the property in the bushes.  Fences more than 5 feet high and 8" in the ground work to keep them from climbing over like larger breed dogs do or digging under them.  There are also coyote rollers that top the fence and keep them from climbing over because they roll when they put pressure on them.

Image result for Coyote rollers

Thanks for those tips.  My parents want to have a vegetable garden. They may think twice as I was reading that vegetable gardens will attract coyotes.

We wanted to put huge windows down there so in 15 years or so they can sell it as a five bedroom house. The main level has two bedrooms and the den with French doors can be a third bedroom. I am getting so excited because they are working so fast. I know after framing and stuff it will probably go a little slower.  It sure would be nice to be moved in earlier then expected. I should have the final sketch for my bathroom Tuesday.

Respected Contributor

I bet your are ready for a bath made for you! I know that I would be! It also sounds like a nice, small neighborhood with large lots, so that will be desirable for many people in the years to come!
Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
I bet your are ready for a bath made for you! I know that I would be! It also sounds like a nice, small neighborhood with large lots, so that will be desirable for many people in the years to come!

Ours will be the 4th house. The third one is being worked on now. There is one more lot to sell. They had it for sale but took the sign down. Not even going to go into the reasons why. But it was horrible.

i don't know how many remdmber the phsyco son of the parents we bought this property off of. My dad warned our project manager about him. Anyway he had the nerve to call our project manager and tell him he wasn't doing something right. Don't know how he got his number. I would of told him your not the owners of the house so I can't discuss this with you. But he explained to him it was being done right.  Plus my dad would never let something be done wrong.