Honored Contributor

Re: It's starting to look like a house

[ Edited ]

Your dad and one other person are doing the moving?  I'm surprised you aren't hiring movers.  My brother-in-law is about ten years younger than your father and works out and rides his bike all the time.  When we moved my father to our town to an independent living facility he and his brother did all of the moving with a little help from their wives and me.  He said never again would he do that himself.  He actually said that before then when he moved my niece to an apartment but decided to do it one more time.  

He is getting ready to move his mother to an assisted living and has hired movers.

I have enjoyed following this thread and look forward to seeing pictures after you get moved in.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

You guys did a great job with such a small overage.  Mom deserves to be rewarded! Health and happiness in your new home.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNackwrote:

Your dad and one other person are doing the moving?  I'm surprised you aren't hiring movers.  My brother-in-law is about ten years younger than your father and works out and rides his bike all the time.  When we moved my father to our town to an independent living facility he and his brother did all of the moving with a little help from their wives and me.  He said never again would he do that himself.  He actually said that before then when he moved my niece to an apartment but decided to do it one more time.  

He is getting ready to move his mother to an assisted living and has hired movers.

I have enjoyed following this thread and look forward to seeing pictures after you get moved in.

When we moved to the apartment we had movers. They were very good and it went really easily. But it was very expensive for what they moved.  My dad is very frugal and wants to try and do it himself. They had to take most stuff to my sisters where it was going to be stored. Like our couch and big furniture items. Because we couldn’t get in the apartment until the next day they loaded beds and stuff on the trailer and we moved the beds and recliners the next day. My dad had my cousins husband, a good friend, and my sister was actually in town from Chicago. We might end up go getting a uhaul.  Just not sure yet. Because we can take our time we will kind of just play it by ear. He is going to try and get my cousins husband and friend to help again. My other sisters husband had foot surgery and will be going to Florida this weekend.  Hopefully my sister and the kids will help. My nephew said he would help. He is so funny. He took a pause and goes will I get paid. Ha Ha. He is only nine so I don’t know how much he will help. His sister is only six. Everything that is stored is at my sisters. They already brought it down out of the attic.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60wrote:

You guys did a great job with such a small overage.  Mom deserves to be rewarded! Health and happiness in your new home.

The big one that helped was we bought our own lighting. That was a 2000k allowance we didn’t use. Then we went over 2400k on cabinets.  So it kind of evens out. We had very few change orders. I think we had 3 and they were all minor. Most of the overage was from dirt we had to bring in. We had something like 170 loads of dirt. Most of it was free from their other properties. 

Trusted Contributor

This has been one very long build..since August. Bet your folks are happy. 

Esteemed Contributor

@spud188wrote:

This has been one very long build..since August. Bet your folks are happy. 

6.5 months. But it’s actually finished a week ahead of the projected finish date. Seems like six months is right about what it takes in our area

Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday after the walk thru our project manager said it was ok to bring a few things over tonight. 😃. Tomorrow they have decided to go rent a box truck for the weekend.  Then next weekend they might go get it again to get the heavy stuff from my sisters.

181A337E-0C72-4FB1-9E64-3C4DA4F7598E.jpeg

Regular Contributor

How exciting for you! Hoping your move in all goes smoothly. When are you going to sleep there?

Esteemed Contributor

@Andrewsgrandmawrote:

How exciting for you! Hoping your move in all goes smoothly. When are you going to sleep there?

Hopefully tonight will be the last night in the apartment. It depends if we can get help with the beds and recliners. Might not get help until tomorrow night or Saturday. My cousins husband is a school teacher so he won’t beable to help until tomorrow night.

Esteemed Contributor

My cousins husband said he can help tomorrow night. So it looks like we will be able to get our beds and chairs over there. They are going to move stuff in the cars then go get a box truck in the afternoon. This way they can use if Saturday and don’t have to return it to early.