Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's been said before but bears repeating....

@wilma   I know what you mean about knick knacks.  I have pared down a lot in the LR.  I have two tall sets of shelves in the kitchen, open shelving no less, and they have got to go.  Everything on them looks nice but the dusting is just plain nuts.

One of the women I went to high school with has a beautful home but there is nothing, zilch, nada out.  it looks like a model home.  There has to be a happy medium between a lot and none.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@wilma   I know what you mean about knick knacks.  I have pared down a lot in the LR.  I have two tall sets of shelves in the kitchen, open shelving no less, and they have got to go.  Everything on them looks nice but the dusting is just plain nuts.

One of the women I went to high school with has a beautful home but there is nothing, zilch, nada out.  it looks like a model home.  There has to be a happy medium between a lot and none.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Agree. Even a few special things will make a house look like a home. I have larger pieces sitting out that I dust. 

Most of my smaller knickknacks are in a curio. Even with the doors closed dust gets in there. Cleaning that is quite a job so I don’t do it very often. I take everything out, dust all the contents individually, clean the glass shelves & doors with Windex, & put it all back. 😱 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to be a clean freak.Finally gave up when I realized that if you're going to live in a home & be comfortable it's going to show signs of wear. No matter how much I clean & dust there is always more to do.

I keep a clean home but I'm no longer paranoid about it. I do what I can when I can.DH helps.It's virtually impossible to get to every nook & cranny.

I have a neighbor who lives alone.All she does is clean. If you go into her house she says don't touch this or that, be careful how you sit & don't stand in one spot because you'll wear out my carpet.I will not live like that.People who come into my home feel "at home" & comfortable.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  I want a clean house but I am not nor was I ever fanacial about it.  I want people to feel at home.  Family and friends know where everything is and they are welcome to help themselves.

We had a couple for dinner once and the wife accidently broke a glass.  She was beside herself.  I told her not to worry but it bothered me that she was upset.  It's just stuff.

Respected Contributor

Another one here that hates dusting! I cannot tell you how often I dust because I only dust when I see obvious dust that needs to be cleaned up, so maybe once a month or two? I like things picked up and as orderly as possible, so if things are relatively neat and uncluttered I don't think you notice dust so much. 

Plus I live with hubby, 2 boys and 4 dogs on a very sandy piece of property so I spend every day off cleaning floors of sand and hair so dusting usually gets pushed to the back burner. If I wasn't cleaning floors every other day I'd probably spend more time cleaning other things but I work 3 days a week and refuse to spend my 2 days off cleaning all day.