Honored Contributor

Re: Isaac's Gingham Sheets

[ Edited ]

@SHOPR wrote:

Thanks, @skuggles.  I think all of my current newer percale items are made in China, including the LL Bean sets.  I know what you mean, though, that you know the particular quality you're wanting, and you shouldn't have to settle for less.  I hope you find just what you want.

I do think I'll be trying a set of the Simply Shabby Target sheets and hope I'm pleased.  I just basically want crisp with absolutely no pilling. 

@SHOPR I've tried both the Simply Shabby and the Threshold sheets from Target and dumb as this may sound, they are noisy.

They come in fabric bags and the fabric they use for the bags is not the same as the actual sheets.

I wouldn't recommend either to anyone.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

Thanks, @skuggles.  I think all of my current newer percale items are made in China, including the LL Bean sets.  I know what you mean, though, that you know the particular quality you're wanting, and you shouldn't have to settle for less.  I hope you find just what you want.

I do think I'll be trying a set of the Simply Shabby Target sheets and hope I'm pleased.  I just basically want crisp with absolutely no pilling. 

@SHOPR I've tried both the Simply Shabby and the Threshold sheets from Target and dumb as this may sound, they are noisy.

They come in fabric bags and the fabric they use for the bags is not the same as the actual sheets.

I wouldn't recommend either to anyone.

FWIW, my Threshold percale sheets aren't noisy.

My Isaac sheets are out for delivery today.  Yea!

Esteemed Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

I appreciate this thread and I'm glad that several people mentioned that these are actually percale sheets, because QVC did not bother to mention that anywhere in the item's title or description.  When QVC.com is searched for percale, no sheets come up, so I would not have known without this thread.

FWIW in my limited experience, percale from the 1990s and earlier, even the cotton/polyester blend no-iron percale, lasted and lasted with no pilling.  I used a couple of those sets until the elastic corners wore out completely, and I can still use the top sheets and pillowcases.  

The percale I've bought in recent years is fine for me as long as it's 100% cotton.  I've tried the LLBean expensive percale and the Evine much cheaper percale, and I'm ok with both. However, I once tried the Walmart Mainstays percale, which was a cotton/poly blend, and it pilled in a short time, unlike the percale blend from the past that has never pilled. Threads or materials are just not what they once were I guess.

As for sateen,  I had one set years ago, and it became all soft and developed a weird flannel texture, so I just stick with percale since I like the crispness better.  

Percale and gingham is a good combination.

QVC should advertise these as percale!!!

Consumers like me search websites specifically for percale.

I, too, noticed that "percale" was not mentioned in the description.  I would be very leary about ordering them.  I do not like 100% cotton as in my experience they are heavy, take a long time to dry, and go out of shape.  I like the cotton/poly percale.  Good percale from years ago is hard to find

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter, I can relate to "noisy" when referring to some materials.  My Evine 100% cotton percale sheet set is a bit noisy, but I'm ok with that.  I did once have a no-name cotton covered down blanket, and it sounded just like a paper sack, and I had to quit using it.  I appreciate the information. 

I got busy with other things and waited too long, and the Shabby set (love the prints) is no longer on sale, but the Threshold set is still on sale, and then there's the extra 10% off thru tonight.  I'm going to try the Threshold set. 

Again, I appreciate the thread because I had completely overlooked Target and even QVC as sources for percale sheets. 

Respected Contributor

Feedback re: Isaac gingham sheets:  Made in China.  I know that mattered to some.  The fabric is sturdy, has some body to it, not too thin.  The fabric still has body and crispness after washing and drying.  It feels very nice.  The stitching seems to be very good.  Seams are surged, so no loose threads.  I don't have them on the bed yet, but hope to put them on this evening.