Honored Contributor

Re: Is your kitchen waste can hidden?

@chickenbutt wrote:

That is something I would like, but no.  

Mine is down at one end of the kitchen so it's not prominent and at least it's somewhat attractive - well, as attractive as a trash can can be. I have an oval-shaped, brushed stainless steel, battery-operated one in my kitchen.  The bag is hidden, which I do like.  I once had one where you could see the top of the bag sticking out.

NAT:  That is what I have.  I don't want one inside a cabinet (I have had that several houses).  When we gutted our house, we got all stainless steel and I like having it handy so I can open it with my foot.  Mine is flat backed and fits up against the cabinet end.  It is stainless.  Bag is not visible.  It is SimpleHuman.  No odor, it matches the appliances and is easy accessible and does not have to be touched ever while cooking, only when taking the bag out and replacing.  Plus extra bags can be placed underneath the current one so I don't have to go to pantry looking for bags.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine sits out but it is a stainless steel step on so trash is not exposed.  

I remember the wall behind my sister's garbage can.  Never in my kitchen!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

That is something I would like, but no.  

Mine is down at one end of the kitchen so it's not prominent and at least it's somewhat attractive - well, as attractive as a trash can can be. I have an oval-shaped, brushed stainless steel, battery-operated one in my kitchen.  The bag is hidden, which I do like.  I once had one where you could see the top of the bag sticking out.

I had a round stainless steel on with a pedal you stepped on, it wasn't battery operated. 

The kids were still here, and of course they would fill the can too high and the inside of the lid would need to be wiped constantly.  Yuck. 

And dear old mom was the one who was constantly wiping it.  Poor mom, lol.

Now that it's just us, I may go with something like you have.

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is an attractive stainless steel can that sits out. I prefer the convenience of having it out -- over having one in a cabinet. Interesting thread....funny, but I actually find it interesting to hear what others prefer about this very important matter. LOL

Honored Contributor

YES, that was one of the main things when I did my kitchen I didn't a trash can sitting out

pull out bin,

smells not an issue,   I have a garbage disposal and just use a grocery store bag for my trash.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a kitchenaide compactor built into the kitchen cabinets.  It is so handy and no need for a wastebasket.  You put your foot on a lever at the bottom and the trash is pushed  to the bottom.  It is lined with a heavy garbage bag that is made for compactors and I replace it every few days as needed.  If you get your kitchen remodeled, I would highly recommend a compactor.  I didn't realize what a convenience it is until I had one.

Honored Contributor

SimpleHuman also has the countertop trash cans in same Stainless that hold 1.5L.  I have one that I keep adjacent to my stainless coffeemaker where we place abandoned grounds and at the end of week or a few days, I put the grounds in the flower beds.  Nothing better for a garden than coffee grounds.  They bring all the right size earth worms to your soil to irrigate and tunnel so that it is not compacted but loamy and perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

Our recycling bin is in the garage, just next to the door to come into the kitchen.  So any recyling gets put in that bin right away.

As far as regular garbage, we have a plastic trash can with a swinging lid, and it fits just under the granite extension on our island.  It fits perfectly there and is very handy.

Personally, I don't like hidden garbage.  The can/basket is NEVER big enough, the handles to open the door get messy because your hands are likely messy, guests can never find the garbage, and I feel like anything else around where the garbage can is hidden can get dirty or smelly, not to mention the possibility of ants or bugs getting in there.

I guess I just like my garbage out where I can see it and monitor it, but covered with the swinging lid.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Here is one very similar to mine but mine is a 2012 model.  Go to amazon and search for Simplehuman rectangular step trash can stainless steel 38L/10 GAL

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

The trash can is in a pull out cabinet.  I like that it's concealed. 

I live in a new house and opted for the same pull out cabinet next to my sink. Its wonderful not having a stinky garbage can within view in my kitchen.

"Pure Michigan"