Trusted Contributor

A lot of hosts and guests are skyping from their homes.  Is your house ready for this?  I'm in the middle of replacing kitchen counter tops, so my house is a disaster zone!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Is your home Skype-ready?

I have a Mac so I use Facetime to check w/family across the USofA.  You can do audio and/or video.  Your choice.

Why not Skype in the bathroom?  If folks can take selfies in the bathroom, might as well Skype there too!  

Tip:  Put Skype on "mute" when flushing the toilet. Smiley LOL

@DecorDiva 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We just Zoomed (similar to Skype) with our kids.  We did it in the kitchen and the background looks great since we have new cabinets.

...now my face is another thing!  Yikes!  I can see myself and it's not a pretty picture....eye bags and puffiness are emphasized much more than when I'm looking in the mirror!

Esteemed Contributor

Around here we're using Zoom.  I like recording in the sun room or in front of the fire place.  The lighting is great and no clutter at all.  

I'm amazed by how many are tuning into Zoom apparently without thinking about what the background looks like.  Last week one of my supervisors tuned into our Zoom from her bedroom, and the dirty clothes were on the floor in the background, her bed was unmade, and a couple of shirts were hanging from the bedpost.  Another sat in front of a window and she was like a dark shadow with bright lights around.  We couldn't see her face at all.  I'm glad they're all healthy and able to to participate, but I think some thought ought to go into background.  If nothing else, sit in front of a blank wall.  IMO that's better than showing your co-workers your laundry on the floor bedpost.

Trusted Contributor

I got me and my husband set up with Skype on our phones (android).

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Around here we're using Zoom.  I like recording in the sun room or in front of the fire place.  The lighting is great and no clutter at all.  

I'm amazed by how many are tuning into Zoom apparently without thinking about what the background looks like.  Last week one of my supervisors tuned into our Zoom from her bedroom, and the dirty clothes were on the floor in the background, her bed was unmade, and a couple of shirts were hanging from the bedpost.  Another sat in front of a window and she was like a dark shadow with bright lights around.  We couldn't see her face at all.  I'm glad they're all healthy and able to to participate, but I think some thought ought to go into background.  If nothing else, sit in front of a blank wall.  IMO that's better than showing your co-workers your laundry on the floor bedpost.

@wildcat fan I totally agree!  I'm amazed even at some Youtube videos where people are either clueless or don't care about what others see in their backgrounds!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac  my BIL calls me from the bathroom. So does a male friend of mine.

I don't need video to go with the audio. 🤤

Respected Contributor

The desk top computer I use I've had for 4 years and never hooked up to Skype until last week.  My daughter has a math tutor and spanish tutor which we now use Skype for tutoring sessions.  Glad I have it.

Valued Contributor

We do frequent meetings like this for work, but they have made it optional to have your camera activated. Which is good for me, since I disconnected mine. 

Several months ago we had an unexpected leaders meeting on a weekend (I believe it was weather related/expectation of bad weather/etc.). One of our fellow managers did not realize her camera was on and was picking out her hair. At first many of us thought she was doing it as a joke of sorts, but her actions gave away she didn't realize we could see her. A director alerted her to shut her camera off.....and then shortly after that cameras became optional for our leader online huddles Smiley Wink

For family I use facetime and frankly they've seen me at my worst, my best, and everything in between lol

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

I have a relative that currently is tele-conferencing from home.  He can only do so in the bathroom because that is the only "quiet" place in the house.

He has a very vocal cat. Never shuts up. 

One morning unknowingly to him, the cat was sleeping inside the shower stall.  Cat woke up during a video conference call.  The meow was made more worse in a closed off bathroom.  His boss was like---"what the h#!! was that?"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif