Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,229
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Is your decorating ever inspired by t.v. shows or movies?

No, I haven't been inspired by any decor I saw on TV or in movies, but it seems at least one show was inspired by my decor.  I saw the very same sofa I have had at the Cosby show.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,897
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Is your decorating ever inspired by t.v. shows or movies?

Does Valerie Parr Hill count as inspiration from TV for my decorating, Valerie is my style....with a couple of vintage pieces......

 

Although my home decor has not been inspired by TV/movies, however, I always love to look at how the homes are decorated from movies from the 40's/Classic TV shows from the 50's on up.....

 

The Christmas In Connecticut house was great.  I love the Clever home in Leave It To Beaver....

 

One thing I always pondered about if Mike on the Brady Bunch was an arhitect why did he and his family live in such an ugly house (both the layout of the home and the furniture).....

 

I loved Mary Richard's apartment in the old house--- it had a lot of character, I never liked her new apartment even if she had "a real bedroom" .......  When she got that plain modern apartment I think that's when the series seemed to "jump the shark"....

 

 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Is your decorating ever inspired by t.v. shows or movies?


@Spurt wrote:

Does Valerie Parr Hill count as inspiration from TV for my decorating, Valerie is my style....with a couple of vintage pieces......

 

Although my home decor has not been inspired by TV/movies, however, I always love to look at how the homes are decorated from movies from the 40's/Classic TV shows from the 50's on up.....

 

The Christmas In Connecticut house was great.  I love the Clever home in Leave It To Beaver....

 

One thing I always pondered about if Mike on the Brady Bunch was an arhitect why did he and his family live in such an ugly house (both the layout of the home and the furniture).....

 

I loved Mary Richard's apartment in the old house--- it had a lot of character, I never liked her new apartment even if she had "a real bedroom" .......  When she got that plain modern apartment I think that's when the series seemed to "jump the shark"....

 

 


 

@Spurt

 

I remember watching the Brady Bunch when I was a kid and thinking that is what all people in California lived like. I used to think all the houses were modern and the furniture was ugly and the people were pretty!

 

And I also remember being even younger and loving Mary's first apartment too. Those great big windows captivated me. It always looked like a big old Victorian mansion that had been made over into apartments, and I still want to live there! Scenes where it was snowing in those windows looked so homey and inviting!

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,019
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: Is your decorating ever inspired by t.v. shows or movies?

@Spurt I just googled images of MTM's apartment and had forgotten the pull down stained glass unit to hide the kitchen, and all that great brick surrounding the wood old wood burning stove! 

 

I see that they renovated the kitchen (it looks that way anyway) in the later years, and it is way too modern and ugly for me. I love the apartment the way it was in the earliest shows. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,897
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Is your decorating ever inspired by t.v. shows or movies?

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Spurt I just googled images of MTM's apartment and had forgotten the pull down stained glass unit to hide the kitchen, and all that great brick surrounding the wood old wood burning stove! 

 

I see that they renovated the kitchen (it looks that way anyway) in the later years, and it is way too modern and ugly for me. I love the apartment the way it was in the earliest shows. 


@Mominohio 

 

Yes, all the details you mentioned....and then the shape of the windows .......I can picture sitting there with a cup of hot tea or chot chocolate just watching the snow...Of course the outside of the house just darling.... I didn't when she had the wicker furniture and chest in the sitting area, and glad it was changed to the white chairs and a table added. ..it just had more character and charm than the modern one!

 

Mary Tyler Moore:

 

 

    

 

 

 

 

 

Here's her new apartment hard to find any photos of it just wasn't the same feeling......(as you said the original victorian did get a real life makeover and was for sale at one point)

 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,897
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: Is your decorating ever inspired by t.v. shows or movies?

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Does Valerie Parr Hill count as inspiration from TV for my decorating, Valerie is my style....with a couple of vintage pieces......

 

Although my home decor has not been inspired by TV/movies, however, I always love to look at how the homes are decorated from movies from the 40's/Classic TV shows from the 50's on up.....

 

The Christmas In Connecticut house was great.  I love the Clever home in Leave It To Beaver....

 

One thing I always pondered about if Mike on the Brady Bunch was an arhitect why did he and his family live in such an ugly house (both the layout of the home and the furniture).....

 

I loved Mary Richard's apartment in the old house--- it had a lot of character, I never liked her new apartment even if she had "a real bedroom" .......  When she got that plain modern apartment I think that's when the series seemed to "jump the shark"....

 

 


 

@Spurt

 

I remember watching the Brady Bunch when I was a kid and thinking that is what all people in California lived like. I used to think all the houses were modern and the furniture was ugly and the people were pretty!

 

And I also remember being even younger and loving Mary's first apartment too. Those great big windows captivated me. It always looked like a big old Victorian mansion that had been made over into apartments, and I still want to live there! Scenes where it was snowing in those windows looked so homey and inviting!

 

 


@Mominohio

 

That Brady Bunch house living room was ALL staircase......

 

 

 

  http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9JI2Z7or8YM/TrO3kZW7PFI/AAAAAAAABUk/I4elKvEd2KM/s1600/Untitled94.jpg

 

Oh that den with the wood paneling....and that furniture.....YUUCK!!! ..

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Iu3u-2ZYVqM/UBoXOt0cnvI/AAAAAAAADz4/VUwv2bNfeqo/s1600/Untitled25.jpg

 

These kitchen colors were popular back in the 70's...

 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”