Honored Contributor

Re: Is this "tacky" ...re: realtor

If I didn't learn anything else this winter I learned that real estate is a brutal business and realtors have to be very very aggressive to make a living. Noit a field I'd want to be in.

Esteemed Contributor

Be A Flamingo In A Flock Of Pigeons Happy Birthday - Flamingo

Happy Birthday to a special "flamingo"!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I'm just looking at mail & on counter is bday card from our neighbor who I don't think has said "3 words" to us in all the years we've been here except when she stopped to tell me she was a realtor & tell me the "added" value we were going to have with all the improvements we were doing (during the 3 month project).  Not a word since!

That being said:  She sent my spouse a nice bday card, complete with "note" of well wishes for his bday & enclosed her realtor business card & checklist if we'd like to sell/rent complete with checklist, comparable sales, etc. (it was a small sheet).

Really!  You can't say "hello" but you take the time to use bday as sales call🙄.  

I think this is "tacky" ... I mean that's Ok to send card (i guess I'll get one tomorrow since our bdays are 1 day apart).  Our community newsletter lists bdays for the month, this is how she knew.

Do you think it's "tacky"? 

@homedecor1  I'm fine with it.  She did introduce herself and you may want to sell sometime and could talk to her.  To me it's better than practically moving in with you and being new BFF's like some neighbor's I've tried to avoid in parts of my life. 

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  Yes, a bit tacky.  We get cards all the time asking if we want to sell our home? Amazing.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's tacky......and she'd be the last person I would list my home with if I was going to sell.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

I agree that your impression of this as "tacky" is accurate.  

When I was about to selll my home (now put on hold), I interviewed about a half dozen agents and finally felt comfortable that the seventh was the classiest and smartest.

It's one thing for an agent you may have spoken to either casually or in an interview setting to send you follow-up cards or messages.  But for one who is a neighbor who apparently has avoided you for the most part only to all of a sudden include professional material disguised as birthday greetings is, well, it feels as if the birthday is now besmirched. 

She could have easily been mailing (or even leaving on your doorstep) professional material, but to use the cover of something personal like a birthday just seems wrong.

If I were you, I wouldn't want my birthdate published in this day of identity theft.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

How is this even a topic of discussion? Just throw the card away and go about your day! Remember, life is short.......think happy thoughts and enjoy!!

@ID2-

I can appreciate what you are saying but I think the things that happen to us every day are things we want, need, and like to talk about. If we don't get to talk about these things, then what? Or not talk at all?

And it seems the whole topic of the right way to market something with class is interesting to many, perhaps because we all encounter these situations in our lives every day.

Just because lots of seemingly small things matter to us, doesn't mean we can't appreciate lots of other things.

Its good to talk about things that are on our minds I think. Makes us feel like there are people out there besides ourselves. Also to share opinions (in a respectful way towards differences of course).

I think @on the bay's post is truly excellent.  Very well said.  

We are here to discuss, share feelings, and sweeping things under the rug is what leads to more problems, not fewer.  @homedecor1 is not agonizing over this, she is putting something up for discussion.   She sounds very even tempered to me.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@homedecor1  Yes, a bit tacky.  We get cards all the time asking if we want to sell our home? Amazing.

@Regal Bee.  We get people knocking on our doors wanting us to sell. Our town had stickers made up with 'do not knock' to put on all of our doors.

Respected Contributor

No, I don't think that's tacky. If she put a billboard up on her lawn, that would be tacky.

You mentioned she took the time to send a card but not say hello. Just curious - do you say hello to her when you see her? 

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Regal Bee.  We get people knocking on our doors wanting us to sell. Our town had stickers made up with 'do not knock' to put on all of our doors.

@proudlyfromNJ  Wow....that would be difficult to deal with. Glad your city found a solution.