Respected Contributor

Re: Is my decorating just clutter?

@traveler wrote:

I was happily decorating my house for Spring with Silk flowers, items from Pier 1 and Michaels.  DH and Son don't care.  They say, whatever makes you happy.

Then I was talking to a woman who always comments on my being her mother's age.  She was going on about her mother's decor and how how much will need to be trashed.  On and on so now I'm wondering if my decorating style is old, too much stuff.  Making me wonder if I need to clear clutter.

___

If you like it and your family members don't mind, you shouldn't put any stock in what she's saying about her mother's decor.  It's your house.  For all you know, she decorates with cardboard boxes and green trash bags, or something equally hideous.  Enjoy your flowers!

Honored Contributor

From a decorator's point of view, I think people can easily overdo the cutesy, glittery, VPH/Pier I/Michael's type of decor.  The worst are overdone artifical flowers...I'd say no more than one display per household.

On the other hand, it's your home and you can certainly do whatever you wish.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler wrote:

I was happily decorating my house for Spring with Silk flowers, items from Pier 1 and Michaels.  DH and Son don't care.  They say, whatever makes you happy.

Then I was talking to a woman who always comments on my being her mother's age.  She was going on about her mother's decor and how how much will need to be trashed.  On and on so now I'm wondering if my decorating style is old, too much stuff.  Making me wonder if I need to clear clutter.

OM gosh! I've been asking myself the same thing for the last couple of years. 

Home decor is a very personal thing. What some call cluttered, others call comfort. I'm about clean, whichever way one goes, so as long as it's clean, I don't think there is a right answer.

I just went for an eye exam and new glasses today. The younger woman helping me (she said she was 26) was wearing the dark bold (black) frames that are so popular with the young crowd, and showing me 'cat eye glasses'. I had to remind her that all those new styles were 'old people fuddy stuff' when I was young, and many people my age just can't get into those styles. It reminded me to stick to who "I" am and not worry about what others thought I should be wearing on my face to be fashionable.

Same thing for home decor. If you like your 'stuff' and the way things look when you complete a room, then it  is 'right'. If you don't like it, or you find it bothersome or overwhelming to create it, clean it, redecorate with it for the seasons, then it needs to be pared down.

Many young people just aren't into" things" in general, and find home decor items and collectibles nothing but outdated burdens. They like electronics, travel, and experience over nice homes or lots of stuff in their homes. It remains to be seen, if as they age, their preferences change, and they accumulate more 'things' as time goes on.

@traveler

Esteemed Contributor

I like pretty things and sitting back in the evenings enjoying them!! 

Do what makes you happy....

Honored Contributor

Well, everyone will be shocked at my post (usually so long) but I'm going to say....."ditto everyone".

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@traveler, I hope you continue with your Spring decorating and don't let her over-sharing, opinionated, and inconsiderate comments stop you. 

I don't think that age (being the same age) necessarily has anything to do with how we decorate.  Two ladies very close to me are almost the same age, but their decorating (as in the amount of things displayed at once throughout the home) is very different.  

Someone here, I think, once suggested taking photos of rooms in the home to get a better visualization.  I do that sometimes, and I think it helps to see everything I have out at any given time from a better perspective.  A few times it has prompted me to minimize what I have out in an area, or altogether change things up in that spot.  This tip may help you, too. 

Happy Decorating!  :-)

@SHOPR

The idea of taking pictures is spot on. I do that often, and it is amazing what you see in a photo, that you somehow 'block' from your view with the naked eye.

I got the idea from a magazine. I was looking at some pictures, many years back, of a sports star (have no idea now who it was, but a football player, I think) at home during an interview. He had an entertainment area (TV, stereo, etc.) and there were tons of cords all out in the open, stretched across the wall, on the floor etc. It looked just horrible, and it would have been so easy to hide them or at least minimize their appearance. I wondered how they could look at that daily and not have it drive them nuts.

Once Facebook started, and people posted pictures of their decor (pictures just for that purpose, showing the way they decorated their new hutch with dishes, or how they decorated for the holidays etc.) I was noticing the same thing. So I went around my house and photographed from various angles. I was amazed at what stood out in the photo, that I was 'not seeing' in my daily life.

Some things are harder to 'hide' or 'fix' than others, based on what we have to work with, but I always find room for improvement when I take a closer look.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@traveler wrote:

Home decor is a very personal thing. What some call cluttered, others call comfort. I'm about clean, whichever way one goes, so as long as it's clean, I don't think there is a right answer.

I just went for an eye exam and new glasses today. The younger woman helping me (she said she was 26) was wearing the dark bold (black) frames that are so popular with the young crowd, and showing me 'cat eye glasses'. I had to remind her that all those new styles were 'old people fuddy stuff' when I was young, and many people my age just can't get into those styles. It reminded me to stick to who "I" am and not worry about what others thought I should be wearing on my face to be fashionable.

Same thing for home decor. If you like your 'stuff' and the way things look when you complete a room, then it  is 'right'. If you don't like it, or you find it bothersome or overwhelming to create it, clean it, redecorate with it for the seasons, then it needs to be pared down.

Many young people just aren't into" things" in general, and find home decor items and collectibles nothing but outdated burdens. They like electronics, travel, and experience over nice homes or lots of stuff in their homes. It remains to be seen, if as they age, their preferences change, and they accumulate more 'things' as time goes on.

I hear you on the cat eye glasses. Umm....no!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@traveler wrote:

@traveler

@Mominohio  Well, my DD will be accumulating things, as she will inherit all of my decor, lucky girl, LOL!   She is not into decor, only fashion/beauty, but she does love my displays/decorating, so we will see.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I was happily decorating my house for Spring 

This sentence says it all.  

Honored Contributor

i was at the dollar store today and bought one sheet of those plastic stick ups that were all shamrocks. I decorated the guest bath and the kitchen with them. I think they look cheerful, and they remind me of my dad. As I was putting them up DH came in from the garage and said he liked them. Who knew?!?! I didn't even think he would notice them. So, do what makes you happy within reason, OP. As long as the epople living with you like it, how much better can it get?