Respected Contributor

Is my decorating just clutter?

I was happily decorating my house for Spring with Silk flowers, items from Pier 1 and Michaels.  DH and Son don't care.  They say, whatever makes you happy.

Then I was talking to a woman who always comments on my being her mother's age.  She was going on about her mother's decor and how how much will need to be trashed.  On and on so now I'm wondering if my decorating style is old, too much stuff.  Making me wonder if I need to clear clutter.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is my decorating just clutter?

@traveler

Do what makes you happy and be glad she's not your daughter (wink).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Boy sometimes I think the same thing.  Not so much when Im putting it our, but when Im dusting!!  I would love to be the person with absolutely clear counter tops and clean lines in all my rooms...I just love my things though, they represent my life, things I love.  Its me!

Honored Contributor

I agree with @Bird mama, it you love it, keep it. It's your home. It's not my style but that does not make it wrong.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I say embrace what you love, not what other's think or say!

Trusted Contributor

Okay, here's my take on this ~ it's your home, your possessions, your money used to purchase those possesions.  I'm a firm believer in surrounding myself with the things I love.  I HATE when people start talking like this woman did.  First of all, what's up with her mentioning you happen to be her mother's age?  So.....?????  Her point would be?????  Then talking about trashing her mom's things?  I'd ask her for first dibs on anything she doesn't want, lol!  I love to decorate.  My home is always clean and orderly.  I was once told by a woman (who, when it comes to decorating doesn't know her you-know-what from her elbow) that I (and I quote) 'take a theme to the extreme.'  This comes from a woman who pays an interior decorator to tell her how to decorate her own home.  Wow.  Keep doing what makes you happy.  As long as you aren't tripping over things I don't see a problem.  Remember ~ the only one you have to please is yourself.   Now, I have to go ~ Valerie is on and I need more stuff!!!!!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Do what makes you happy. I cleared all the clutter years ago. I got tired of dusting it all every week. It's so much easier to clean now that I don't have to move so much stuff. 

Esteemed Contributor

Next time you see that woman--walk the other way.....it's none of her darn business......

Honored Contributor

You should surround yourself with what makes you happy, and that includes people.  Sometimes I wonder why people feel the need to comment negatively about other peoples homes, wardrobe etc.  We all have different likes and dislikes but it's your home to decorate as you like.  Have fun with it and enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

Do what makes you happy. I cleared all the clutter years ago. I got tired of dusting it all every week. It's so much easier to clean now that I don't have to move so much stuff. 

@Nightowlz  You dusted every week?  How about once a month, lol.  What I can't see, doesn't bother me. Smiley Happy