Honored Contributor

Re: Is my decorating just clutter?

[ Edited ]

It's self-expression, creativity, and comfort - decorate on...  Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with doing what makes you happy, and makes you feel comfortable in your home.  

In my 20's and 30's, I had a lot of plants and primitive decorative items, including a silk garland and wreaths, displayed in my home.  After I hit 40, I just wasn't in love with the look anymore, so things started to disappear.  The bare-er it got, the better I liked it.   As soon as my oldest daughters allergies and asthma worsened, we got the last of the carpet out of the house, ditched all the plants and adopted an even simpler look.   Displaying photos of my family members has been the one thing that has never changed thru the years.   

Esteemed Contributor

@aggravated  Your post made me laugh as I'm doing the same thing,  today I cleared all the stuff on one side of the kitchen counter  that was ALL DH's.  This sudden burst of energy came after  him saying "there is too much stuff". Well most of it is his!!!  For some odd reason he loves to display everything and it drives me crazy.  As much as I like to decorate I do not like clutter.    My plan is to do a little bit everyday so I don't burn myself out and hopefully when I'm done it will stay that way for more than 5 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I love to decorate my home but it isn't cluttered at all.  I love when people come to my house and ask if I would decorate their house for them.  It makes me feel good.  When I do purchase something new I tend to sell what I'm no longer using on Ebay or give it away so someone else can enjoy it.  I agree with do what makes you happy and don't listen to other people.  Enjoy!! 

Honored Contributor

I think it's your home and you should decorate it any way you like.

Personally, I don't care for artificial flowers and plants.

Esteemed Contributor

If your decorations make you happy, go for it! My husband does most of the decorating in our house because he's good at it. He uses our antiques, collectables and family peices. I add the Luminara candles and occasional Valerie, Bethlehem Lights, or Michael's item.Yeah, it's a little cluttered, but it's "homey." My sister-in-law once told me our house feels like a hug. That sounds good to me! I can't understand people who throw out things their parents cherished. We even use some of my late cousin's favorite costume jewelry to help decorate our Christmas tree. I know she would love that!

Respected Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

It's self-expression, creativity, and comfort - decorate on...  Cat Tongue

I completely agree with your comment.  For me, it's art-form.  So don't mess with my art, lol!