Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

YES, it's RUDE.

Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

Aloha Hulugirl, I am so glad you sent an answer to the shoes in Hawaii question. Some sugarflake is saying that is not true and that I never lived in Hawaii. Too bad when someone has to accuse anyone on this forum of telling lies. I flew for a major airline and lived there for 2 years. With all the ash that flies around over there you better take off your shoes.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I wouldn't mind if someone asked me, but I wouldn't ask a visitor to do so in my home.  I have door mats inside and out and hardwood floors that I wash regularly.  No biggie.

Respected Contributor

Yes, you are being extremely rude when you ask guests to remove their shoes upon entering your home. The comfort of guests is the most important issue.  Rugs and floors are meant to be walked on. They are just THINGS!  My 90 year old mother would tan my hide if I ever asked people to take off their shoes just so I wouldn't have to clean up after them.  I own a broom, vacuum and a mop. I know how to use them, I'm not that lazy that I can't do 15 minutes of clean up if someone makes a mess. i don't care what other countries do. We are here in the US. Leave your shoes on please. We don't ask guests to remove their pants or skirts when they sit down on the furniture, why remove shoes? That is just being plain rude.