Honored Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

On 4/27/2015 gardensla said:

To me, it's not right to invite people to your home and then do anything that makes them uncomfortable. Making your guests comfortable is the first rule of a good host. You can always vacuum later!

For me, being asked to take off my shoes (which is part of the outfit I carefully constructed to look nice to come to your home to which you invited me) and pad around barefoot or in socks makes me uncomfortable. I would not be pleased if met at the door with this request.

At the very least if you must ask guests to go without shoes in the home to which YOU INVITED them, advance notice is the right way to go. I could then chose to wear pants which would look much less stupid than wearing white socks with a dress.

Since I *cannot* go barefoot or wear non-orthotic shoes without being in pain, if I were informed ahead of time I would decline to go; if I was informed at the door I would turn around and go home. I would not want to make a "thing" and tell my hostess; most likely they would not believe me and think I was just saying it to get out of taking off my shoes. It's not worth it for someone I don't know well. They're not worth my potential embarrassment.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

No, I don't think it is rude at all. I have had guests come into the house without even bothering to wipe dirt and mud off their shoes. To me this is rude and inconsiderate. My husband and I always ask if a host or hostess would like us to remove our shoes when we are invited to someone's home. This is the norm in many countries.

Honored Contributor

At least invest in a nice doormat for guests to wipe their shoes on if they are not taking them off. LLBean DH is unable to walk without his orthotic shoes...he even has to wear them until he goes to bed and takes them off after he is in bed.....we wouldn't be able to stay for a dinner or visit if he had to remove his shoes.
Valued Contributor

not at all rude if you provide some clean or new footies or low socks or new slippers for them to wear while in your home. In California, many people observe this custom and children are very used to taking off shoes when entering a home.

Super Contributor

Slimjudi.....I really do not believe you have ever lived in Hawaii.

Contributor

Sugarflake you have a lot of nerve saying that you don't believe I lived in Hawaii. What in the world makes you think that? Are you nuts or something. Who on this forum would lie about something like that?? I know that you are not worth answering but you best watch what you say about people. Have you nothing better to do than write lies about me and say you don't think I ever lived in Hawaii. Shame on you. You have a problem.

Honored Contributor

No, it is not rude. If the hostess wants you to remove your shoes so be it. Just make sure to wear clean socks. On the other hand if a guest chooses not to remove their shoes, the hostess should not make an issue of it. IMO that would be embarrassing.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

I wear outfits to go with my heels like the length of my pants. If I take off my heels my pants would be dragging on the floor and making me look and feel like a frump while your house stays looking good. I would never take off my heels but I would wipe my shoes if you had a rug outside AND inside of your door. That should be sufficient but if not then let me know...That would be my attitude about taking off my heels in someone's home.

Super Contributor

I've been caught off guard by two hosts that asked guests to remove their shoes at the door. Since I can't walk around bare footed without pain, this was an issue for me.

It's best for a host to inform guests in advance that they require shoes to be removed. That way guests can bring a proper pair of socks or slippers with them.

Honored Contributor

On 4/28/2015 MargieRJ said:

I've been caught off guard by two hosts that asked guests to remove their shoes at the door. Since I can't walk around bare footed without pain, this was an issue for me.

It's best for a host to inform guests in advance that they require shoes to be removed. That way guests can bring a proper pair of socks or slippers with them.

Thank you. I notice the posters who insist they flat ban shoes in their home pretty much don't address this scenario, or say "well of course" but I'm assuming that means a guest would need to explain/beg not to take their shoes off. Some would rather not. And lol, my orthotic slippers do go outside, so all the stuff the germophobes fear *would* be on my slippers, but they wouldn't know that. It would be okay because they're slippers. Unless the homeowner asks to inspect the soles of all slippers. Wondering how far folks would be interested in going.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all