Honored Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

On 4/26/2015 Divine said:

This thread is from last December. Someone is bumping up old threads. I remember posting on it, and here it is...again. Sort of like all the threads about hosts and what size they wear. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

I am sure I posted on this before too.lol

Super Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

On 12/26/2014 SaggingGal said:

We live in an upscale condo building in a large metropolitan area. The public areas of the building are not well maintained, despite numerous requests by residents for improved service. The concrete floor of the garage has not been washed in a year. Carpeting in the public hallways and in the public staircases has not been shampooed for nearly two years. The lobby is often littered. The parking lot is notorious for bits of broken glass residue from visits by the garbage truck. We ask our visitors to remove their shoes when they enter our condo. We are concerned that they can easily track in anything into our home.

Sorry to say but this does not sound upscale ..It sounds like a

slum... All the condo owners I know live in very well kept places

with 24 hours of Patrolling for security, and code violations..

Honored Contributor

On 4/26/2015 shoekitty said:

My husband is sansei. I think that is right. He is the grandchild born here of Japanese immigrants . The grandparents came over in the late 1800's though. My husband always has shoes in the house that never go outside.

Do you follow this custom too - like your DH? Once you get used to it, it really does make sense. I love so much about Japan and its customs. I'll bet you honor a lot of those in your home! Smile

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Why are we talking about customs in Japan, Hawaii, and Germany?? How does that relate to the topic and to me here on the mainland?
Super Contributor

I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I ask if I should take my shoes off before I step in. I don't see what the hub-bub is - are people ashamed of their feet? The holes in their socks? I don't get it.

I have (what I think is) a funny story: my stepmother goes beyond asking people to take off their shoes at the door. When she and my dad first got married and bought a house, she required us to take our shoes AND socks off at the door, and put on a brand new pair of socks that she provided. Not only did she not want the street funk on her floors, but our worn sock cooties skeeved her out, too. I admit, we all thought this was over the top, and we made jokes about it. My one sister used to say - "hey, free socks" because stepmom wouldn't want the socks back...

Then, I guess the socks got too costly (?) because then she switched to making us put blue elastic surgical booties over our own socks before we come in.

I'm a little torn about the issue - I don't get upset about being asked to take off shoes at the door, although I think my stepmother goes too far (for my comfort). BUT she has made me think more of the street germs we do bring into our homes on the soles of our shoes.

Esteemed Contributor

Personally I guess it is the choice of the resident. However I rather would not do it if I do not know in advance. In the winter I come wearing socks, hose, whatever. In the warmer months I am barefooted essentially without my shoes. I am uncomfortable taking off the only support and protection I have.

In one case it was actually a distant relative. In another case it was a family where this was a cultural thing. I complied but wished someone had told me in advance.

Contributor

Only in Hawaii do you refer to going to the Mainland. That is because Hawaii is part of the United States. Japan, Germany and other countries you do not say going to the mainland. Are you aware of all the people that live in the USA do come from different countries and bring they customs with them?? It is no big deal what anyone wishes to do in their own home. I really think the answer is do what you want and lets move on to another subject.

Bye Bye

Honored Contributor

On 4/26/2015 chi5925 said:

Yes, it is rude to ask guests to remove their shoes.

What next?...."please remove your dress because we don't like the dust it blows around the living room when you walk....."

I'd rather have "stuff" brought in on shoe bottoms than have to sit at a dinner party and smell everyone's feet....yuck!

Any "stuff" brought in on bottom of shoes can always be cleaned/swept/vaccuumed/mopped up next day.

Yes, that's the logical conclusion. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Esteemed Contributor

To me, it's not right to invite people to your home and then do anything that makes them uncomfortable. Making your guests comfortable is the first rule of a good host. You can always vacuum later!

For me, being asked to take off my shoes (which is part of the outfit I carefully constructed to look nice to come to your home to which you invited me) and pad around barefoot or in socks makes me uncomfortable. I would not be pleased if met at the door with this request.

At the very least if you must ask guests to go without shoes in the home to which YOU INVITED them, advance notice is the right way to go. I could then chose to wear pants which would look much less stupid than wearing white socks with a dress.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it's rude at all. Wouldn't offend me in the slightest.......