Honored Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

I don't know about that. But a multi million dollar home was for sale, and the potential buyers (all of them) were asked to take off their shoes at the door before touring the house. Maybe the carpeting could not take the traffic?

Forgot to mention. All buyers were given paper slippers to put on.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

I really don't like shoes in the house, but as I have learned people do not like to take their shoes off when visiting. Of course in your case it's a different story.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't think it is rude to ask about shoes. Ask if they would mind. If they mind, don't press it. I don't get why people would be offended. So many people I know do this. One has severe allergies. and frankly a couple are real germaphobes and we all know it. We love them and respect their wishes. They do sell those paper shoe covers. I have used those for us during construction. My husband never walks on certain parts of the home, especially carpet area with shoes. As he puts it, you track in spit, nasal drippings (i have seen people hold one nostril and blow the mucus from other nostril on sidewalk, (gagging as I say this), there is dog poop, pee, you name it. And we walk around all day in public over this, then walk in your home? You can bring in disease to pets from unvaccinated feral animals too. Most Asians in our area, do not use shoes in their home. I respect that.

I live in California, so most of the time people have sandals or flip flops, it's easy.

One thing I am picky about in my home and hotels. Is I never put my suitcase or the rollers on bed or anywhere but the luggage rack. After I have seen what those rollers run through, I am grossed

Honored Contributor

Several years ago we had a big womens meeting at a mansion type home. The owners had spent years building it. They had hard vinyl in kitchen and family room (before people tiling in kitchen like they do now). The owner had asked ahead if women could refrain from wearing pumps in her kitchen. I know I wore wedges and most ladies wore flat shoes and sandals. One of the ladies at the meeting had worn heels with worn heels, the metal spike showing. She was also very heavy set. She poked about 10 holes in her new floor, which had to be replaced. I knew this, and many of the organizers. The owner just paid for new floor, but was upset. She didn't want to hurt this person's feelings, as the damage was done. Because the home had a high value, the deductible on insurance was higher than the cost of new flooring. People need to think. After this happened, I had a sign in kitchen that had a picture of a woman's high heel shoe with a slash through it! it was meant for my 2 adult daughters who at the time always wore worn heeled pumps. Hahahaha

Two times I have ladies place their hot coffee cup on my antique side board, leaving a ring that never came out. Tried everything.

Honored Contributor

Me personally? I don't think it's rude. I lived in Japan and on my first day of teaching there went marching into the school with sandals on. The interpreter set me straight right away. I was a little awkward in my bare feet, but carried a pair of white socks with me after that! I got used to doing it at home too, but it was bare feet. I continued my own habit about it when I returned home. Here - in the winter with ice and snow - I won't go into anyone's home with my boots on. Sometimes they appreciate that; sometimes they tell me don't worry about it.

My SIL lives in the Victorian farmhouse DH grew up in. She had the hardwood floors covered in off-white carpeting, and has a rack for shoes by the entry door. It took the older relatives a while to get used to it, but now everyone follows her way.

I don't have that rule in my home, although I have my "house" Birkenstocks that don't go outside at all. DH leaves his shoes on; the kids are usually barefoot of in socks or sandals. Doesn't bother me - we have hardwood floors or tile everywhere downstairs. Smile

Honored Contributor

How about the visitors clothes or if they don't wash themselves? That's tracking in lots of germs. It would be weird for me to take off my shoes. Are you providing new, never worn socks etc.? I think you should tell guests beforehand of this no shoes policy. So they can come over or not.

Honored Contributor

On 4/26/2015 songbird said:

I don't know about that. But a multi million dollar home was for sale, and the potential buyers (all of them) were asked to take off their shoes at the door before touring the house. Maybe the carpeting could not take the traffic?

Forgot to mention. All buyers were given paper slippers to put on.

This is a different situation.

Honored Contributor

On 4/26/2015 beach-mom said:

Me personally? I don't think it's rude. I lived in Japan and on my first day of teaching there went marching into the school with sandals on. The interpreter set me straight right away. I was a little awkward in my bare feet, but carried a pair of white socks with me after that! I got used to doing it at home too, but it was bare feet. I continued my own habit about it when I returned home. Here - in the winter with ice and snow - I won't go into anyone's home with my boots on. Sometimes they appreciate that; sometimes they tell me don't worry about it.

My SIL lives in the Victorian farmhouse DH grew up in. She had the hardwood floors covered in off-white carpeting, and has a rack for shoes by the entry door. It took the older relatives a while to get used to it, but now everyone follows her way.

I don't have that rule in my home, although I have my "house" Birkenstocks that don't go outside at all. DH leaves his shoes on; the kids are usually barefoot of in socks or sandals. Doesn't bother me - we have hardwood floors or tile everywhere downstairs. Smile

My husband is sansei. I think that is right. He is the grandchild born here of Japanese immigrants . The grandparents came over in the late 1800's though. My husband always has shoes in the house that never go outside.

Honored Contributor

On 4/26/2015 shoekitty said:
On 4/26/2015 beach-mom said:

My husband is sansei. I think that is right. He is the grandchild born here of Japanese immigrants . The grandparents came over in the late 1800's though. My husband always has shoes in the house that never go outside.

Of course people should do whatever they choose in their own homes, no question. It gets more complicated with guests. Relations who visit will be aware, as will close friends and frequent visitors. But there is another group of visitors - workmen, and any casual visitors who would not be aware of "rules" ahead of time. IMO to be confronted with a request to take off one's shoes as I arrived at someone's home unaware - that's rude.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

This thread is from last December. Someone is bumping up old threads. I remember posting on it, and here it is...again. Sort of like all the threads about hosts and what size they wear. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Member Since 11/20/2008