Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

On 4/25/2015 moonchilde said:
On 4/25/2015 fourpaws said:

I don't have guests

What a surprise.

LOL!
Super Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

On 4/25/2015 slimjudi said:

Hawaii, which is part of the United States and their residents do wear SHOES!! I don't know where you lived in Hawaii or when but your statement is very ignorant. I suggest you call Hawaii and ask if their residents wear shoes. You act like they are in a poverty stricken part of the world.

I lived in Kailuwa, Hawaii for 4 years on the windward side through the tunnel from Honolulu. I did not say they do not wear shoes. Read again! What I said was_______ MANY do not wear shoes around because it is so clean, KIDS GO TO SCHOOL BAREFOOT TO CLASS IN GRAMMAR SCHOOL, in high school. they must wear shoes.They also play outside barefoot. I think your attitude is very ignorant. You are talking to someone who has lived around the world at some point or another. I do not have to call anyone to find out about this. Once again we have people who do not read whats written, only those ready to attack.

Super Contributor

On 4/25/2015 GoodStuff said:

"Upscale"? Your building sounds like a poorly maintained slum. Where is your condo association? Do you have meetings? Who is supposed to maintain the common areas? Do you pay condo fees? If the condo association isn't cleaning and maintaining common areas, how do you know they're paying insurance premiums or doing crucial structural maintenance?

You and the other residents have much more serious issues than whether guests take off their shoes when they visit! You need to get together and demand action.

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

I totally agree. I also would not want to put MY feet into a slipper that someone else has put their feet into.

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 Campion said:

Your house, your rules. We lived in Germany for a while, and we all had a Slipper Set that was at the door, so guests could put something on their feet--it's the norm there to slip off your street shoes to preserve the wood floors.

How unsanitary!

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 SaggingGal said:

We live in an upscale condo building in a large metropolitan area. The public areas of the building are not well maintained, despite numerous requests by residents for improved service. The concrete floor of the garage has not been washed in a year. Carpeting in the public hallways and in the public staircases has not been shampooed for nearly two years. The lobby is often littered. The parking lot is notorious for bits of broken glass residue from visits by the garbage truck. We ask our visitors to remove their shoes when they enter our condo. We are concerned that they can easily track in anything into our home.

You have a SLUMLORD!

Honored Contributor

Why not ask them beforehand to bring their own comfortable shoes/slippers and explain to them why. I would not be offended by that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

On 4/26/2015 Ford1224 said:

Why not ask them beforehand to bring their own comfortable shoes/slippers and explain to them why. I would not be offended by that.

This seems like the most sensible solution. If the 'no shoes' policy is mentioned in the invitation, guests could decide if this is a factor as to whether or not they choose to attend.

Opinions are very split down the middle, and at this point, we should all agree that neither argument is going to change our established opinions on this issue. The horse has been beaten way beyond its death, folks. Can we please bury Mr. Ed now, and let he and his shoes RIP?

Super Contributor

I lived in Japan for 3 yrs. and learned to take my shoes off being there. That is their custom. After that length of time I got so use to it. After all these years back in the USA I don't ask people to do it but if I did my floors would be a lot cleaner!! I say it's your home and you can ask people to take off their shoes but it is nice if you provide something they can slip on their feet when they come in and remove before they leave.

Super Contributor

Yes, it is rude to ask guests to remove their shoes.

What next?...."please remove your dress because we don't like the dust it blows around the living room when you walk....."

I'd rather have "stuff" brought in on shoe bottoms than have to sit at a dinner party and smell everyone's feet....yuck!

Any "stuff" brought in on bottom of shoes can always be cleaned/swept/vaccuumed/mopped up next day.

Respected Contributor

On 4/25/2015 moonchilde said:

I don't have guests

What a surprise.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}{#emotions_dlg.lol} IF I had guests,I would not ask them to remove their shoes, family members know my rule and they abide by it ,{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}