Super Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

I can't imagine anyone asking me to take off my shoes when entering their home! If I was asked to, I would not come back.I am not comfortable walking around in stocking feet. If they notified me ahead of time, I would bring my slippers.

Valued Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

Get a different flooring if it's a real problem. I've got hardwood and tile because I dislike the upkeep carpet requires. I've got a Haan steamer that cleans and disinfects quickly. People are free to wear shoes or not. I don't care.

I have large rugs that reduce the noise and add the warmth of carpet. I roll up the older, antique rugs that I am fussy about, and I put them away when I entertain large groups of people.

Carpet does harbor mold and allergens and dust and it stains. That is just an inherent drawback to having carpet.

On the rare occasions that I am invited to a formal event at a friend's house, I would not appreciate being expected to take off my shoes. If I went to the trouble to dress up, I'd like to stay dressed.

On informal occasions, like coffee with friends or family, I'll take off my shoes happily.

In terms of what proper etiquette demands, I believe the rule is that the hostess should accommodate the guest. Don't invite people over if you don't want to hassle with them. Or meet them at a restaurant and leave the floors to someone else.

Valued Contributor

It is not rude to ask people to remove their shoes. I live in AK and our house is a 'shoeless' house all year long. It is fairly standard here that company knows to remove their shoes when visiting anyone (due to snow in the winter). We gently tell guests, if they don't know, that ours is a shoeless house. No one has ever been offended that I know of. When I visit someone, I always remove my shoes at the door. There is nothing wrong with wanting to take care of your carpet, and the host should not have to vacuum and use carpet cleaner after each visit.

Super Contributor

There is no 'right' answer as clearly shown in this thread. Everyone must do what they are comfortable with - both homeowners and guests. No judgement here for either side as I 'get' both opinions.

ETA: I've actually had company take off their shoes even after I've said to leave them on! LOL!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

At the homes I go to, or have been to and their habit is to remove shoes before entering, I have some little footies in my purse to slip on, unless I have sox on. It's so simple. It's never made me even think, that they care more for their home than me. It's a habit. Who knows what they grew up with? They could just be carrying on family tradition. Take sox or footies along and leave the shoes/boots off unless the hostess says, "oh you can leave your shoes on". That shows them you care about them. That's nice.

Honored Contributor

This question has been on the QVC forums before and has been a hot topic. My answer is....it depends. My father who had polio could not walk without his shoes on. One of my sisters who was in a bad car accident years ago, can not walk without her shoes on. I personally would never ask anyone to remove their shoes. However, if I visited you and there were shoes by the door, I would remove mine. I have a SIL who has planters warts on the bottom of her feet. Since they can be spread, I would not be comfortable if she was in her bare feet in my or anyone's else's home.
Super Contributor

Yes I think it is rude to ask your guests to remove their shoes because people don't typically carry slippers around with them or they might have holes in their socks or they might have foot odor. You say you live in an upscale condo but that being said why are the common areas not being maintained? I grew up where we did not wear our shoes in our house but my parents never asked our guests to remove their shoes. I also lived in Hawaii when I was in the military, we removed our shoes when entering a home but then again we typically wore sandals or flip flops shoes that you could easily remove.

Super Contributor

What kind of "upscale" condo is this that doesn't maintain the common places. If I were a buyer and saw common places as you describe, I sure wouldn't be paying upscale prices for a condo.

But, to answer the question - I have hardwood floors, tile in kitchen/bath. I recently purchased a new 8x11 area rug for my living room that is beige, so very light in color. The entry to my home enters at the living room. Since I live in Seattle, it rains here a lot, and so shoes easily pick up dirt that tracks into the house as dirty/muddy footprints. So because I don't want to chance getting dirty/muddy footprints on the area rug, I have been asking visitors to take their shoes off at the door.

Unfortunately, the only path to get to common living areas in this house is through the living room and walking over the beige area rug. Getting to the bedrooms or bathroom is the other direction, and has no impact to the area rug.

But, previously when I had a darker area rug in this location, if it were a service person I ALWAYS had them remove shoes or place booties on. I never let them walk through the house with shoes, especially not knowing where they have been or what they may have stepped in. Personal visitors were not asked to remove shoes.

Since I have started this request with all visitors now, I think I will keep this in place, regardless of light rug or not. Who knows what anyone if stepping in when they are out and about? Gross people spit on pavements, which anyone can step in, or even parking lots where other cars may have had an oil leak. If you think about it - the list of gross stuff people step on is endless. I don't want whatever kind of nasty stuff that is out there being tracked into the house.

Contributor

NO - - I don't think it is rude!! In Hawaii no body walks in anyone's home with their shoes on. We lived over there for a couple of years and think it is so nice. To respect other's home is always a welcome pleasure. If it were to make them feel uncomfortable, then so be it.

Respected Contributor

On 12/26/2014 slimjudi said:

NO - - I don't think it is rude!! In Hawaii no body walks in anyone's home with their shoes on. We lived over there for a couple of years and think it is so nice. To respect other's home is always a welcome pleasure. If it were to make them feel uncomfortable, then so be it.

Thus, the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality. Which Hawaiians R known 4Smiley Happy

Love the culture, beauty, people. Beautiful!