Respected Contributor

Re: Is it MY eyesight 🤔or the bulbs???

I don't like the "new" bulbs either.  They either cast blue which looks spooky or yellow or pinkish.  They daylight are a little better, but not much.

Now we have energy efficient washers with not enough water (I don't like my new Maytag) and energy efficient light bulbs - no choice, but forced on us.

Give me the "old days"!

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66wrote:

I hate those bulbs!  I waste more time standing there looking at all of the stupid light bulbs.

If you want to go crazy!  Go over to Home Depot and look in their "BULB AISLE".  Never have I seen so many freaking light bulbs!

I like the plain kind like I grew up with (I'm old).  It's hard to find just plain old light bulbs.

I try to find the one's that mimic daylight, but they're getting harder and harder to find these days.

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a cave.  So, if it's you then it's me too because I just feel like I can't see anymore and I know it's not just my eyesight...it's those stupid lightbulbs the powers that be are trying to get us to buy!

@Annabellethecat66  I think the government at one point had mandated these bulbs for energy-efficiency but so many opthalmologists complained about how bad it was on their patients' eyes and they are.  I have optic neuritis and I cannot stand to look at a halogen bulb.  I have to go to a dark room, close my eyes and sleep until the stars and bright lights and amoebas go away.  it is like one of those kaleidoscopes we had as kids, when I see halogen lights and the visuals do not go away until I sleep them off.

Honored Contributor

I've found some of the regular old fasioned bulbs at Target, Home Depot or Lowes. I can't stand the newer ones either.

Honored Contributor

FYI:  Yikes I put those halogen in my guest room left on for 1/2 hr or so.....you're right....the shades were warm😱😱😱😱

will be returning them ...thank you all for pointing this out!!!!

Honored Contributor

We began stocking up on incandescent bulbs several years before the phase out, as they really did give us a lot of warning it was coming. I still have tons, as my husband finds them at auctions by the box loads as well. 

I've tried several different kinds of the newer stuff, just to see what we will eventually be in for, but haven't found anything I really care for thus far. 

Glad I have as much as I do, and dread the day I run out of them!

Esteemed Contributor

I have recessed lights in my kitchen and the last one that burned out I took with me to get the same kind of replacement and absolutely could not find one so went with one of the newer kind, I don't even remember what kind but weird looking like the one shown. When the lights are on at their brightest the difference isn't very noticeable but the minute I start with the dimmer........geez louise that new one throws off such a weird light compared to the others. It's almost eerie the way the area that particular one shines down on looks.

Frequent Contributor

@shaggygirlwrote:

I have recessed lights in my kitchen and the last one that burned out I took with me to get the same kind of replacement and absolutely could not find one so went with one of the newer kind, I don't even remember what kind but weird looking like the one shown. When the lights are on at their brightest the difference isn't very noticeable but the minute I start with the dimmer........geez louise that new one throws off such a weird light compared to the others. It's almost eerie the way the area that particular one shines down on looks.

Make sure the bulbs are made for dimmers. Not all of them are.

There's always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look for it.
For example, I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt.
Honored Contributor

My supply of old fashioned light bulbs is starting to run out.

I won't buy the halogen because of the fire stories when they first came out.

I hate the fluorescent, after a while they start to give everything a yellow tint and lose the brightness.  We are slowly replacing them with the LED's but wait until they go on sale to buy them because they're expensive otherwise.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

ACE Hardware brand of the new LED bulbs are the best imo. Their soft white bulbs have light that looks like regular incandescent bulbs. I recommend you go up to the next watt than you are used to. For example, if you normally buy 60W incandescent bulbs then go up to a 75W equivalent LED. These are also available in dimmable and 3-way versions. Also look for their  "K" values on the package. If you want incandescent-looking light cast then look for LED bulbs in the 2700K to 2800K range. That will give you warm light.

Esteemed Contributor

Have not read all the responses, but wanted to say that we have begun replacing most lighting in our home with LED lighting.

I was having a real problem with my kitchen lighting, so DH replaced all recessed fixtures with LED.  It made a world of difference!

Finally, he was able to replace the two larger ceiling fixtures with LED.  Amazing.

We've replaced all outside bulbs with LED.  Again, amazing.

He buys only the warmer light, not the blue tinge. 

We will be phasing out most other lighting as time goes on.  

I can finally see what I'm doing in my kitchen!  We could not decide if it was our eyes or the fixtures.  I was concerned at first, but it really helped.