Trusted Contributor

Is anyone but me just tired of all the lighted items?

I don't mean to whine or anything but, is anyone else tired of all the lighted items? I mean they have shells, and finials, and angels, and things for outside in the yard, and those spheres! Spheres everywhere!!

Why does every thing have to be lit?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone but me just tired of all the lighted items?

I personally refuse to buy any more decorations that require batteries!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Simply put...It brings DH & I joy. When one of our Luminara candles goes out, DH is the one that replaces the batteries! Glad my DH enjoys the lights too!

I don't put everything that lights out all at once, but it's fun to add a few new pieces into vignettes when decorating.

There are just as many decor pieces that don't require lights electric/BO....if not more. Additionally, all decor that is 'lighted' doesn't even have to be lit to enjoy them.There have been many decor pieces that require batteries and I have yet to put a battery in them...just enjoy them without being lit.

One example of this are VPH pedestals. I have several sets, but NEVER use them with batteries. I like the focus to be on what the pedestal has on it and the pedestals are lovely without being lit Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I don't mind if an item has lights, but I won't buy it unless I also like it unlit. I even like some of the items better unlit.
Honored Contributor

I'm with marsha, in that I must love an item unlit, or I don't buy it. Those lights and timers are going to fail, and I'm not into throw away decor. I tend to keep my stuff for decades, especially if purchased new. 

I have come to a point, where the lit items are kind of getting out of hand. I'm going through batteries like they were water. We get the big packs at Sam's on sale a couple of time per year, but still. Around the holidays it is even worse. I have tended to over do with the lit items. 

I, too, don't have all things out and lit at the same time, and in the summer especially, when the days are long, a lot of it gets either put up (as I really scale back my decor during the summer as I'm too busy outside to keep up inside) or turned off, including many of the candles. 

I will say that this summer, it has been so rainy and gloomy here, that I have kept many of the candles on, so that is a little unusual. 

But in general, I'm wondering if this 'lit' decor is here to stay, or will fade away any time soon. I can see where many think it has run it's course, especially the lit mercury glass stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I'm with marsha, in that I must love an item unlit, or I don't buy it. Those lights and timers are going to fail, and I'm not into throw away decor. I tend to keep my stuff for decades, especially if purchased new. 

I have come to a point, where the lit items are kind of getting out of hand. I'm going through batteries like they were water. We get the big packs at Sam's on sale a couple of time per year, but still. Around the holidays it is even worse. I have tended to over do with the lit items. 

I, too, don't have all things out and lit at the same time, and in the summer especially, when the days are long, a lot of it gets either put up (as I really scale back my decor during the summer as I'm too busy outside to keep up inside) or turned off, including many of the candles. 

I will say that this summer, it has been so rainy and gloomy here, that I have kept many of the candles on, so that is a little unusual. 

But in general, I'm wondering if this 'lit' decor is here to stay, or will fade away any time soon. I can see where many think it has run it's course, especially the lit mercury glass stuff.

I'm with you and Marsha Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I don't mind lighted items either.  I use more when it starts getting dark at 4pm.

Honored Contributor

Well, I do love a lot of lit pieces, like the Luminara candles, the spheres and a few others.  But, I agree with some of the other posters that you really don't want to have a room full of lit  pieces all at one time.  I have a lot of b/o pedestals & finials that I rarely ever light because I like them better unlit.  I find myself using the b/o micro mini light strings in a lot of my vignettes rather than lighting every piece.  So, to answer your question, I don't think I'm tired of the lighted items if they're used in moderation.  I do want them to be pretty unlit too.  I get tired of buying batteries, another good reason for them to look good unlit.  Hang in, it will probably fade away, eventually.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A little off-topic, but wondering if anyone else feels this way:

Every now and then I will run across and watch a VPH item video on QVC.com which was recorded a few years ago, back before lit mercury glass became a big part of the VPH line.  

This may sound corny, but I think it is soothing to see the older sets, back before all of the shiny stuff.  I miss those shows, where the only things lit up might be a table lamp or a pair of buffet lamps.  I realize that all of the shiny stuff doesn't appear the same way in someone's actual home. In the studio with all the lights and monitors reflecting off all the shiny objects, the sets in recent years are usually busy-looking to me.

Another thing that I think adds to the busy-ness is when the set has all kinds of lit things going at once and they all have different colored LEDs, from blue-white all the way to orange-amber.  

Maybe I'm the only one who longs for the older pre-everything-shiny-and-lit sets, since the lit items must continue to be the hot sellers, or they would have been phased out already.  I'm doing my part, too, to keep those items coming, since I bought the lit TSV and will likely buy a set of the new twisted glass finials when they show up.  

:-)

Honored Contributor

I don't use any lighted decorations or items unless it is Halloween or Christmas.  I don't want a bunch of decorative lit items inside my house.  There is a house near me that has candles in all their windows all year.  I love the look of that house, but I always put away my window candles in January.  I also like the way some houses have exterior walk and garden lighting at night, but I don't like random lit objects.  I prefer actual lighting as the way to brighten up a house or yard.