Respected Contributor

Re: Is Your CLOSET too full? Why? Not Taking Items Out? Buying too Much?

I wish that was my problem. We have a large walk in closet but I haven't been out shopping since before Christmas. Had back surgery in January for herniated disc. Was not too successful. May need more surgery as now I have another one. The Q's prices have just become outrageous. I could use a few things but will get by with what I have for now. I miss shopping.

Valued Contributor

Also use about 25% regularly.  Just weeded out quite a few items.  Fortunately my daughter takes many of these.  She has the money to buy her own stuff but not the time.  Besides she hates to shop.  When she moved out I joked that her room was now my walk in closet.  

Trusted Contributor

This is a great thread.  I have small closets and yes, they are too full.  I love clothes and own a lot of them.  I live in a state that has four distinct seasons and therefore I have a seasonal wardrobe.  But I love every piece I own and they fit my lifestyle.  I weed out the "mistakes" very quickly.  I am a minimalist in some other areas of my life, but not with clothing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a small closet, but it isn't full or crammed with clothes.

I started downsizing my wardrobe several years ago.  I had 3 of those portable closet things in my basement that were stuffed. I also had several bins with folded items. No more. I could never wear all of it, and I started to feel guilty about having so much extra stuff when some people have so little. Most of it came from shopping online so I cut back on that drastically. The amount of clothes I donated was staggering.

It is so much easier to plan outfits and get dressed when my choices are fewer.  I also know that I like everything in my closet, and each piece has a purpose. I have always loved shopping for clothes (and shoes), but I only buy things that I know I will wear.  It must fit and flatter. The item must go with other things I already have. Sometimes I still make a bad purchase, but generally, my choices are good.

ETA: I closet purge regularly.  I always keep a bag in the  basement for worn items or mistake purchases, but it doesn't fill very quickly anymore.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a lot of closet clothes.

I'm in jeans and tee shirts every day but such a slob with bleach splatters, cooking splatters or a drop of tea or coffee down the front that the tee shirts don't last much longer than a season before they are ready for the garbage or rag bag.

Esteemed Contributor

Same here, full closets and I just donated six huge bags again.  My problem is  I don't wear too much  because I don't go out as much especially during Winter. 

The things  I have are brand new. I get bored easily even though I make new outfits every season so I always wind up buying more. 

Honored Contributor

Yes. I'm very sentimental about my clothes.

I need to try the "capsule" wardrobe, and I admire women who do this.

But I love fashion too much! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Well, since I can barely get into my walk in closet these days  - I really do not know if it is just too small, or, I have way too many clothes... Hmmm,🤔!! I have seriously gone through it from time to time, cleaning it out and giving stuff away. The problem is... It just keeps filling back up... I really think the best solution is indeed a bigger closet!!😊

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

I have a rule that when I bring something in something goes out either to the rag bag or donate bag. It works great.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Truthfully, I haven't walked around in a store and looked at clothing since my youngest was a high school senior, more than 15 years ago.   I just hate spending money on clothes.   I will readily spend money on nice things for my house, but have no interest whatsoever in clothes.