Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Your CLOSET too full? Why? Not Taking Items Out? Buying too Much?

I just donated lots of clothing and I would like to think I am not buying as much these days but I still have pretty full closets somehow.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

My closet is full, but not with just clothing.   I have 2 pair of drapes hanging in my closet, as well as a comforter that were all just dry cleaned, and space bags filled with the hated throw pillows from the couch.   

Since I retired, I have streamlined my clothes to basic necessities. I have a total of 2 coats, 6 pair of slacks, a dozen tunics, and 2 skirts.   The clothes I wear around the house are folded and stored in my dresser, which has 6 drawers.   One for socks and bras, one for underwear, two for pajamas, one for shirts, and one for shorts and pants.  Right now there are 8 pair of shoes hanging on my shoe tree, altho I just ordered 2 new pair which will hopefully bring me up to 10 pair of shoes---total.  I enjoy having only what I need.

@RedTop, I am trying to get where you are, as far as the clothing and maybe? shoes, but can't seem to get there, lol. It is an ever ongoing thing in my closet. Still trying, though.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop

For the drapes and the couch pillows ( esp. If the pillows aren't the thick type ), have you space under the bed ???  I utilize this space for change of season down comforters in plastic covers.  Some love seats have thin cushions covered in plastic under them.  In the FL condo, I have metal fanfold closet doors stored under the king size beds.

Another space for storage: behind sofas and love seats that are close to the wall and can't be seen from the side.

Sounds like your closet is well-managed !!!!  Congratulations !!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My closet is jammed, but only because it is tiny. I have about only 4 feet of hanging space, and my husband the same. Our off season clothing hangs on a rack in the basement.

I don't care for clothes, or shopping for them. I get what I have to have, and often go several years in between buying anything new to wear.

My other closets are full, but of Christmas items, or linens and blankets, but an over abundance of clothing isn't something I have to deal with.

Honored Contributor

You are right but it does take time and diligence self control to break the shopping habit.  I "curate" my wardrobe and I no longer buy just to be buy.  I have a specific color story and all my bottoms are neutrals.  I don't have a fancy dress up lifestyle.  So, whatever I buy must be apporpratr for work or weekends.  And I discard or give away anything I haven't worn in two years.   No. my closests aren't "stuff" I don't wear or need anymore.  

Respected Contributor

My closet is too full and I am in transition....both physically and work wise. I previously worked in settings requiring business attire: suits and heels. I now work part time in my own business and can wear whatever I want most of the time, still need a couple of suits, etc. But, the big physical transition is surgery fusing the big toe joint on my right foot and treatment of two neuromas on the same foot, meaning I can only wear 1 1/2 in. heels and I need good support. I can work from home most days and I just flat need less. I am working on weeding out the heels I can no longer wear, but being a beautiful shoe person makes it hard. I am focusing on the fit issue with clothes and that really helps. Putting some things on ebay and donating lots! It is good to hear that others share this issue.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Regular Contributor

Sooner...your disclosure and request are pet subjects of mine. 

I grew up in a modest family but always was treated to well-made clothing. Closets were not crammed, but what was bought was carefully selected. When I started to have more discretionary income, the closets became packed with garments and accessories from many sources, and inventory grew. For decades I have bought more than I needed but was always finding homes for many garbage bags full of clothing, multiple times a year. For at least ten+ years, I have been changing my buying habits while continuing to thin out the closets. I have two medium sized walk-ins, now with rod space to move the hangers back and forth.  This year I have aggressively started to remove even more. I want a working wardrobe with carefully planned pieces that coordinate. I have many expensive handbags to share with friends and relatives...none with much wear. Guilt is a powerful force. I find that if I permanently remove from sight these underused purchases, the guilt lessens...out-of-sight; out-of-mind. Sharing these items and experiencing the appreciation of another who is the recipient is a reward. 

Having been a loyal Talbots customer for decades and liking their style and quality the best, I am attempting to keep new purchase, with a few exceptions, to the classics they offer. It has not been easy, and I still have many difficult decisions to make before the closets meet my goal. I appreciate your candidness as you must be struggling too. Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

Being in retail after working, I have a large variety because I never know when I'll get to do my laundry as DH's may have to be done in the little time available. I might have closed one night and opened the next morning.  No laundry that day as far as mine goes!

I line dry all my good items, so I am aware of how long the drying time is also.

Respected Contributor

I recently went through all my shirts, tops, tees, blouses, etc. You are so right about buying fewer things on sale and spending the money clothes that you know you will really love, but buying a lot less. I learned this when I realized that most of what went in to the donation bag were tops I impulsively bought from HSN at their end of year clearance.
Honored Contributor

Count me with the saver but still buy more group.  Every now and then I'll go through things and get rid of a few items, but I usually end up talking myself in to keeping more than I'll pitch or donate because I just might need it someday.  C'mon, how many shirts/jeans/sweats does one need in case they decide to paint or work out in the yard?  And truthfully, if I haven't worn something from my everyday or going out wardrobe in a year, will I ever really wear it again?  Will it even be in style when the mood strikes?  I got rid of my Marvalush pieces yesterday which freed up an entire dresser drawer.  Boy, what a mistake buying those things.  I loved the idea and they were great for a few wears, but they soon got fuzzy and pilled....live and learn.  Tomorrow I'm going through my "painting shirts" and will do some serious thinning out.  I also want to buy less.  I don't work outside the home anymore so I don't need a work wardrobe.  And since I am home most of the time, I can wear very simple clothing and don't need a lot of it.  I've been buying more lately so I'll have enough variety when we go on vacation, but if I am truthful with myself, I'm sure I have more than enough.

My DH and I are preparing to do some bedroom redecorating.  It's unreal what we pulled out of the closet yesterday - a bin with old embroidery hoops and cross-stitch patters (no way I'll be doing anymore of that with my vision), purses, Vera Bradley travel pieces, Longaberger baskets.  We now have a spare bedroom so our plan is to make good use of that closet and chest of drawers for off season clothing, purses and occasional use type stuff like my Vera Bradley travel pieces.  Aside from the Longaberger Med. Washday basket, the rest are going (probably out to my burn pile).  Ugh, when I think of the $$$$ I spent on all of that and now they're not worth much at all.  It was fun at one time, but not anymore.