Honored Contributor

Is Your CLOSET too full? Why? Not Taking Items Out? Buying too Much?

I know why my closet it too full.  I don't throw things away if they are still good.  I am working on it, and am making progress.

I am thinking that value is how much you like a piece of clothing and how much you will wear it.  I think this matters more than price.  I am buying fewer things on sale, and buying more things thinking about how useful, well made and comfortable they are.  Then about how they look.  Finally I am considering the price against these things. 

I figure if I wear out fewer clothes I like better (even if they cost more), I'll save money and closet space in the long run.

Is that right?  Tell me if you think I'm wrong!!!  I need closet therapy!  Have I been lured by cheap clothes I won't wear???  LOL!!!

THANKS!

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Your CLOSET too full? Why? Not Taking Items Out? Buying too Much?

My closet is way too full.  I've cleaned out the closet in the spare bedroom and am getting ready to take those clothes to charity.  I've got to start working on my closet next.  I find that I don't even realize what clothes I have that I could be wearing because my closet is too full.  

I'm having a hard time getting motivated to clean out my closet.  I'll need to try on clothes when I do it.  After I'm done I'll probably have a whole new wardrobe!

As far as having fewer high quality clothes, I've always done that.  I do buy things on sale though.  My go to clothing stores are Anthropologie and Loft.  Both places have really good sales.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I definitely think you will save in the long run.   I've known for years that I am better off buying what I really like and wearing it than buying something just because it's on sale or it's a less expensive version.

One of the reasons I bought only one clothing item (literally one) in all of 2015 was that the previous 2 years I had found quite a few items I loved on sale and was perfectly happy wearing them.  Still am -  we're nearly 4 whole months into another year and so far in 2016, I've come home with one top and one pair of shoes, and I have no intention of adding anything else for a few more months.

Unless you are a part of a lifestyle where keeping up with those around you is really important, I think you'll be surprised what you can do with that full closet.   I know I was.

Trusted Contributor

I have been thinking the same thing.   20% I wear often, 80% not so often.  Looking for more staples.  I'm slowly whittling my closet down via selling on the bay.  My clothes are my babies, I take great care.  None have ever seen a dryer.  I iron with a lavender scent with sizing.  ******?  Maybe.  Gonna continue whittling, some have never been worn. Shame on me!

Honored Contributor

Every few years I go through my closets.  If I have not worn an item in over a year, out it goes w/o a second thought.  I don't care if the tag is still on it either.

I give to the Salvation Army.  They love me to death! Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

last summer I put on about 10 pounds and some of my nice dresses and skirts felt too tight to me. I went through my closet with a heavy hand in the fall and took out everything that did not fit perfectly and a few other things I just had not worn in a long time. Some I donated knowing I would be unlikely to ever wear them and those I really liked but they didn't fit well, I folded into  a bin and put them in the back of my closet. Now I have lost that weight and I am thinking it is time to revisit those items folded in that bin to see if I can get them back out and wear them.There are clothes hanging up that now feel too large to me so I will do an exchange of those into the bin. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

limit what you buy at sales.  Sometimes the price takes over and you lose track of the color and style.  Buy items you know will go with what you have.

Honored Contributor

My closet is full, but not with just clothing.   I have 2 pair of drapes hanging in my closet, as well as a comforter that were all just dry cleaned, and space bags filled with the hated throw pillows from the couch.   

Since I retired, I have streamlined my clothes to basic necessities. I have a total of 2 coats, 6 pair of slacks, a dozen tunics, and 2 skirts.   The clothes I wear around the house are folded and stored in my dresser, which has 6 drawers.   One for socks and bras, one for underwear, two for pajamas, one for shirts, and one for shorts and pants.  Right now there are 8 pair of shoes hanging on my shoe tree, altho I just ordered 2 new pair which will hopefully bring me up to 10 pair of shoes---total.  I enjoy having only what I need.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Every few years I go through my closets.  If I have not worn an item in over a year, out it goes w/o a second thought.  I don't care if the tag is still on it either.

I give to the Salvation Army.  They love me to death! Smiley Tongue

I think the people at the Salvation Army think we are nuts.  We've cleaned out 2 houses and 3 offices in the last 2 years.  We know them all by name. . . 

Honored Contributor

No, to be honest, my closet is more than half empty... I need to go shopping!