Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is Your CLOSET too full? Why? Not Taking Items Out? Buying too Much?

I really like the idea of buying with a purpose and hope I can put it to use in my life.  I don't want clothing that doesn't match with anything in my closet or clothing that I don't really like and hardly wear.  When I first started buying here on the Q I bought some Graver items and I really don't like the feel of the fabric.  It stopped me cold from buying more but I wonder what I was thinking as some items sit unused in my closet.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Truthfully, I haven't walked around in a store and looked at clothing since my youngest was a high school senior, more than 15 years ago.   I just hate spending money on clothes.   I will readily spend money on nice things for my house, but have no interest whatsoever in clothes.  

I could easily have written your post @RedTop!

I hate clothes shopping and don't care for clothes. My money gets spent on my home, and the clothing is an afterthought for me!

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

Yes. I'm very sentimental about my clothes.

I need to try the "capsule" wardrobe, and I admire women who do this.

But I love fashion too much! Smiley Wink

The idea of those capsule wardrobes horrifies me! I love variety & they are so limiting. There is a lot of room in between having way too many clothes & having almost none.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the middle of the night I hear an ominous noise in my closet. The rod was not braced properly in the middle, and the whole long rack of clothes bit the dust and took the lower rack with it. That forced me to face the truth about all the things I had kept piling in the closet and their real value in my wardrobe. I had to fix the rods and then go through each piece of clothing and decide to keep, trash, or donate. It was wonderful therapy! About a third either was shabby and needed to go or was seldom worn.

I have been much more selective in my buying since I had a good look at the pile of sale clothes that were actually a waste of money. I could have taken a nice trip on that wasted $!  I'd rather have a smaller wardrobe of quality things I love than dozens of tops, pants, and skirts that were on sale but have shrunk or pilled or had me saying, "what was I thinking." It's also easier to see what I have now that the closet isn't cluttered.