Respected Contributor

Is Luxury Vinyl Flooring Cold in Winter?

We are thinking about flooring options. I was wondering if luxury vinyl plank flooring is cold during the winter months. We currently have carpet, but the flooring store is urging us to try vinyl plank instead of the new Pergo to replace our old carpet. This will be in the mountains at an altitude of 8,000 feet. It can get really cold there.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is Luxury Vinyl Flooring Cold in Winter?

I have vinyl plank flooring throughout the house. My home is on a slab so it's already a bit chilly although I live in the south and our winters are pretty mild. I love being able to thoroughly clean the floors, replaced my wall to wall carpeting with it. I think it would be about the same with Pergo flooring. I did put area rugs in my bedroom & living room, mainly for the look. In my opinion, anything other than carpet would be a bit chilly in the winter but I wouldn't trade my flooring in for anything.

Honored Contributor

@On It

I'm in the snowbelt of the Buffalo area, you may have heard we recently had a LOT of cold and snow! LOL

Our LVF is downstairs in our finished basement. We laid a pad over the concrete floor and then DH installed the flooring himself.

It is no colder than any other flooring we have upstairs, obviously except the carpets.

It is very durable and water resistant and looks great!

It is DEF Way warmer than the ceramic tile upstairs and softer even though it is laid on concrete. It is also less slippery than ceramic tile.

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Yes

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How cold or warm it feels depends a lot on what you put it on. The underlayment will determine the insulative properties as well as how well it will wear in the following years.

--------------

ETA-

Underlayment is what goes on top of the subfloor (usually wood) or on top of cement. Underlayment is not a necessity but it provides insulation against temperature and sound plus it can give you a cushion where something like cement might be hard on your feet.

Respected Contributor

I would love to have a vinyl floor again! We got tile because it was the "in " thing at the time and I hate it now. Sure it holds up beautifully BUT it is COLD and HARD on your feet (especially 69 year old feet!!). Go for the vinyl!!! So many of the new ones look like tile but much kinder!

Honored Contributor

We just replaced all of our downstairs wall-to-wall carpeting with Pergo Laminate (waterproof). I love it. We looked at vinyl planks, but I decided in the end, that laminate would hold up better.

We had it installed in July and so far, so good. So much easier to clean than carpeting and no more of that dust and grit that inevitably settles into and beneath the carpet, no matter how much you vacuum. I couldn't wait to get rid of that.

We had it professionally installed by a carpenter we've used before and he did a beautiful job. Took two weeks of upheaval, but definitely worth it. (We also had him install the recommended Pergo underlayment, even though our laminate came with attached underlayment. It's another layer of cushioning and warmth. We're only doing this once, so we wanted it done right.)

Is it colder than carpeting? Yes, of course. But it will also be cooler in the summer months and we can always put down area rugs, if we want to. Right now I'm not. Done with carpets!

Asterisks inserted to break this up, until Q's I.T. Team figures out what's causing the HTML error!

Honored Contributor

I have cork flooring which comes in planks. Its very warm and soft and easy on the feet. It's always room temperature, never cold and I never break anything I drop.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On ItIt's better than tile of course, but I would say it's about the same as any wood flooring. Not going to be as warm as carpet, but you can put carpets where you need them. We had carpet since the 80s. I wish we had done this sooner. We put it in our kitchen, family room, hallway and landing. Will probably do the rest of the downstairs next year. DH is SO happy! We have a sort of colonial interior to our house, and the floors we found fit right in. We had to get a wool hearth rug for in front of the fireplace, in case there were any stray sparks.

Esteemed Contributor

Friends of ours put down Life Proof flooring. I googled Vinyl plank flooring, and sure enough, Life Proof was there. While I would not necessarily pick the same design/color that they did, it is gorgeous. It was installed right on top of their tile floors in an older home they purchased on a canal. I would not worry about it being cold. But I like being cold, that is just me though. Good luck.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead