Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I wanted to put a nice rug in the living room after we installed hardwoods. I decided not to add a rug. I don't want to cover the hardwoods. I want to be able to see them. Easier for me to take care of the floors as far as keeping them dusted. I also don't want to have to vacuum rugs or move from the floor to clean the hardwoods. I have one small rug at the computer desk under the chair so it does not ruin the floor.

This is very understandable to me.

I was questioning the reasoning behind having wood floors, if one was going to add lots of area rugs. Even just a couple.

Most people choose a hard surface floor for ease of care, and to not have the dirt, dust mites, and work of cleaning carpets that hold dirt and germs. 

If one then places area rugs, it would seem to double the work of cleaning and maintaining the floors.

Don't get me wrong. I like the look of bare hardwood, and I like hardwood with some rug accents. I like wall to wall carpeting as well. I have been considering replacing our very old living room carpet with hardwood, for ease of cleaning in the future, and was considering what I'd do about having area rugs or keeping the floor more bare. I cannot decide, as I like the warmth of rugs, but it would almost be as much (or more) work than just re carpeting and maintaining the carpets again. 

Luckily it really isn't in the budget for awhile, so I still have time to try to decide.

Respected Contributor

We wanted a large, very Florida wool rug for our Naples condo.  After seeing the pattern I wanted, I didn't want to pay the high price for a rug that was only 5 x 7.

On one of our afternoon car trips, we found the same or very similar pattern in a very large wool carpet at a Goodwill store for peanuts.  Here it is in our Great Room:

image.jpg

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I have two large rugs in my living room. One rug is thirty years old. I had two different rug pads, one  when I had carpet, and now with wood flooring. I found the nicer pads a rug cleaning company.

Respected Contributor

I recommend Hautelook and Gilt for rugs. They are on both sites regularly and the prices are great. I've purchased many over the years. 

Respected Contributor

I think the size is your preference on how much of the wood you want to show.  But, as others have said be careful with the backing.  Rubberized won't be good on the wood floor and if it has no backing then the rug will slide around.

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

As we are transitioning from carpet to hard wood floors, we are adding area rugs. In general, what size rug do you feel have the most versatile use: 8x10 or 10x14?

I would like mid-priced, traditional  rugs such as Karastan. Any recommendations for sources or even other brands.

@granddi wrote:

As we are transitioning from carpet to hard wood floors, we are adding area rugs. In general, what size rug do you feel have the most versatile use: 8x10 or 10x14?

I would like mid-priced, traditional  rugs such as Karastan. Any recommendations for sources or even other brands.

@granddi wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Before you buy, check out ESALERUGS. COM.  I recently did business with them and was so impressed with their customer service.  I would definitely work with them again.  The shipping and returns are free.  They have all styles of rugs.  I was shopping for Persian rugs and they had a large selection of them plus other styles.  The prices are fair and they often have 50% off sales.  Do yourself a favor and check them out.  I had to return one rug and they arranged a pickup from my home.

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Before you buy, check out ESALERUGS. COM.  I recently did business with them and was so impressed with their customer service.  I would definitely work with them again.  The shipping and returns are free.  They have all styles of rugs.  I was shopping for Persian rugs and they had a large selection of them plus other styles.  The prices are fair and they often have 50% off sales.  Do yourself a favor and check them out.  I had to return one rug and they arranged a pickup from my home.

@Big Sister, that's great that they have free shipping and free returns.  That's my only hesitation about ordering rugs.  It's really hard to tell colors online, and I'd be afraid I'd get something I wasn't happy with.  Then it would cost so much to return something like that.  I'm glad to learn about esalerugs.com.  I'm going to bookmark them.  I'm in the market for a rug for my living room.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Thanks to all. I just got a Pottery Barn catalog that says 40% off rugs.