Honored Contributor

Invest in a decent bed covering if you are trying to sell your house

I watch a lot of those Buying Alaska, Buying the Beach, type shows. I have a pet peeve, many of these beautiful homes have the lousiest looking beds. Some old rumpled blanket hastily pulled over the bed is a total turn-off to me and I imagine some other buyers. Your bed takes up a lot of real estate in the room, make it look presentable.
Respected Contributor

Re: Invest in a decent bed covering if you are trying to sell your house

I agree - I was watching one of those beach front property shows this past weekend and the bed had the ugliest bedspread on it and it was a real turn-off. 

Super Contributor

@depglass wrote:
I watch a lot of those Buying Alaska, Buying the Beach, type shows. I have a pet peeve, many of these beautiful homes have the lousiest looking beds. Some old rumpled blanket hastily pulled over the bed is a total turn-off to me and I imagine some other buyers. Your bed takes up a lot of real estate in the room, make it look presentable.
You are not buying their furniture, you are buying their house. Best to visualize your own furniture it its place.

Respected Contributor

The best looking bedding is the ones on House Hunters International. They always have the beds made up with really fluffly and plush looking comforters. I have also noticed that they always have two of them folded length wise on the beds so each side has its own. Just sort of fun to see the different ways people do things in different areas. I agree with you though about the shabby looking bedding on the shows you referred to.

Honored Contributor

I rarely watch any of those type shows, but I do so agree about the beds.

Even when we look at open houses that are for sale, it will amaze me how people live in a very upscale area, or have beautiful hardwood floors, and expensive kitchen remodel, but leave the beds in their house looking like a homeless shelter.

I know it doesn't matter a hoot to the value of the house, but it does bug the cr@p out of me, and I wonder what people are thinking.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I rarely watch any of those type shows, but I do so agree about the beds.

Even when we look at open houses that are for sale, it will amaze me how people live in a very upscale area, or have beautiful hardwood floors, and expensive kitchen remodel, but leave the beds in their house looking like a homeless shelter.

I know it doesn't matter a hoot to the value of the house, but it does bug the cr@p out of me, and I wonder what people are thinking.

@Mominohio  We looked at a very nice house a few years ago and I was shocked  and appalled at the  inside and we had made an appointment to see the house. I really felt bad for the agent showing the place, bed was just as they crawled out of it, underwear on the floor, bathroom had cobwebs covering the window and the dog had pooped on the carpet in the formal living room.   Yes, it matters to me because I don't live that way.  I love nice bedding too.

Respected Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@depglass wrote:
You are not buying their furniture, you are buying their house. Best to visualize your own furniture it its place.

Just about all selling involves projection.  Beyond just the object in question, from houses to cars to jewelry to peanut butter, you are subconsciously (or not so subconsciously) being sold perceptions, i.e., how you will be perceived as the owner of same. 

Yes, you are buying their house, but their house represents their lifestyle, and that can infer what yours will be in it.  It may be subtle, but it's there.

In spite of what your own furnishings may be, if that same house is furnished with high-end furniture and up scale decor, you will not only be more inclined to want the house but be agreeable to the purchase price.

@depglass  I so agree with you about bedding.  If I splurge, that's usually where I will put the money.  To me, there are few places more enticing than a big, fat, fluffy bed. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Absolutely!   I look at homes for sale on Zillow.com, and see many photos of ugly beds in some of the most expensive homes on the market.   I also see pictures of kids bedrooms where there is no bed frame, just a mattress on the floor covered by a blanket.  

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Absolutely!   I look at homes for sale on Zillow.com, and see many photos of ugly beds in some of the most expensive homes on the market.   I also see pictures of kids bedrooms where there is no bed frame, just a mattress on the floor covered by a blanket.  

Doesn't it make you wonder how meticulously the house has been cared for or maintained?

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Trusted Contributor

My pet peeve is when potential buyers get in the bathtub to see if they fit. So rude and tacky.