Trusted Contributor

Re: Interior sliding (pocket style) door-

I may not be understanding the question correctly but here's my response.

Our house has pocket doors all over the place, with the original track / rails within the frame and they are located at the top.

The pocket door that separated the kitchen from the panty came off it's track and we could never get it back on track.

My hubby looked online and found a rail replacment kit. Although he had to remove the door molding around the frame to remove the door, he really didn't have much of a problem following the directions, replacing the rails, and putting it all back together. And now the door slides like a dream.

If you hubby is handy, this could be an option.

Honored Contributor

@violann

You may or may not want to install something like this, if you will open and close the space:

I found it in a Google search for "cat barriers."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Molding isn't going to work, you won't be able to slide the door back into the pocket.

I think eventually the screening would get scratched and clawed at.

Honored Contributor

The good news is you're not trying to keep flies and insects confined, so you don't have to use conventional screening in a screen door. You could use something like hardware cloth which is much more durable, or some decorative metal panels (like those used on radiator covers) in place of the screening. You could even insert wooden dowels into holes drilled into the frame of the screen door to keep the cats isolated. All would work okay.

There's also a company that makes custom photo murals (muralsyourway.com) that will custom make photo murals in whatever size you want that you could then apply to your existing doors. The custom murals aren't inexpensive, but they'd give you a unique option.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Such useful, helpful ideas! Still consideri the options.......