Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl ..it's a bathroom at the top of the stairs.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia ....I would want a door (old door) with glass at the top and panels at the bottom or plain, it would depend on what I could find...which would also need to fit my current opening.  I would have the glass replaced with a pebbled glass so that you could not see into the room....I just think it would be a interesting 'look' in the hall way at the top of the stairway.

I may need to take a few measurements and when going to the flea market or antique shops look for the door.

@Mom2Dogs 

Oh this sounds lovely. Anything that is that different, is that unique, doesn't have to 'match' the rest of the house, in my book. 

I replaced every one of my interior doors in late 2015 and was so very excited to do so. This house was built in 1973, and the doors were just the ugliest junkiest mess I'd ever seen, but had been put off for 20 plus years because of all the really needed things (roof, septic, windows, exterior doors, private school.....) I'm so happy with them, and the hardware I chose. I know if you do a new door, it will really change your view of that whole area!

Let us know what you do.....with pictures!

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs @Yes, but if your bathroom has a window, sunlight follows as opposed to a solid, closed door.

I would think making this change would brighten up the place.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio our house was built in 1976....and I never thought I would still be living here...

I did not pick the house, dh was living here when we got married and it was only 3 years old at that time....he and his 1st wife built the house, ugh...and then I got stuck living my life here.....very glad to have a nice home but would rather have been able to pick what I wanted...

anyway we have put a good deal of money into this house over the years and are currently looking at upgrading the bathrooms, (not gut jobs, just new shower in the master and  shower/tub surround in the larger bath) but $15,000 for two bathroooms is more than we are willing to put into this house at this location...resale, if that ever would happen we would not get a return on our money.

Long story short, I was thinking the door would be a nice, different touch to the house.  I really enjoy decorating and the house looks nice, I have tried and I think succeeded putting my touch on the house.

I am sure your new doors made a big difference in the feel of your house...little things can really pay off.

Esteemed Contributor

Go for why do we always have to match?