Honored Contributor

Interesting "musty/smell" found it🙄😳floral arrangements

I would have never thought about this!  Everytime I came in my backdoor from my garage I'd smell this musty odor these past few months😳

I searched high & low, not the cat box which is in utility room near door i clean 2-3/day and believe me I am a nut for housekeeping.  No smell or dirt is safe around me😉

OMG I found it -- my friend gave me this beautiful wall basket full of silk flowers.  I hung it on the wall as you come in the door.

Today, I'm taking everything down off the walls for the painting contractor next Monday (flooring people will be here Wed-Sat in that area).

I almost gagged those silk flowers smelled so musty it was horrible.    I never thought about the odor could be coming  from this -- guess this was a yard sale buy or something but it's in the trash now!!!  

Now, I'm sniffing all the silk arrangements in my house!!! And many are going to trash too😉.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting "musty/smell" found it🙄😳floral arrangements

@homedecor1wrote:

I would have never thought about this!  Everytime I came in my backdoor from my garage I'd smell this musty odor these past few months😳

I searched high & low, not the cat box which is in utility room near door i clean 2-3/day and believe me I am a nut for housekeeping.  No smell or dirt is safe around me😉

OMG I found it -- my friend gave me this beautiful wall basket full of silk flowers.  I hung it on the wall as you come in the door.

Today, I'm taking everything down off the walls for the painting contractor next Monday (flooring people will be here Wed-Sat in that area).

I almost gagged those silk flowers smelled so musty it was horrible.    I never thought about the odor could be coming  from this -- guess this was a yard sale buy or something but it's in the trash now!!!  

Now, I'm sniffing all the silk arrangements in my house!!! And many are going to trash too😉.  

So glad you found it. Musty odors are bad, and like you said hard to find.....No masking that smell. Glad you found it, it must have been driving you crazy!!!!!!

Valued Contributor

I find silk plants and floral arrangements in general tend to be dirty, dust collectors.  I have gotten rid of almost all of mine. I never noticed them smelling, though. I'm going to go smell mine now.

Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN

yes it was...I was like a "bloodhound"😮😱 but i found the source💃💃

ugh!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@DearPrudence

me neither!!! i just tossed all the OLD ones who would have thought & Im not going to miss them.

😀

Esteemed Contributor

This is interesting.  I have been wrestling with a slight odor in the kitchen and it's driving me nuts!   I've washed the trash can, moved everything around in the frig to check for spills, checked under the frig and in the cabinets nearby.........I  do have silk arrangements in my house and there are two in the kitchen, I'm going to smell them right now......who would have ever thought?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

sorry posters (friends) I'm turning you into "bloodhounds"!!!!!!

😉🤣🤣🤣🐶🐶🐶

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1, I have purchased 3 or 4 of the small Sonoma brand artifical plants from kohls.com at various times over the past few years. 

One of the plants (pic below) arrived smelling so musty that I couldn't stand it.  I took it outside and eventually took its burlap wrap off.  There was a block of floral foam inside that was wet, which was just crazy. 

I liked the little arrangement so much that I let it air out and probably sprayed it with Lysol.  Eventually I couldn't smell it anymore, so I brought it in and started displaying it. 

I will never understand why the foam was wet in an artificial arrangement.  The others I bought were dry and smelled just fine.  Still scratching my head over that.  I don't know if your arrangement had any foam in it or if you were dealing with a different issue, but FWIW...I've had a stinky artificial plant, too!  Cat LOL

Image result for sonoma artificial plant

Honored Contributor

And that is exactly why I don’t have any.   

The only one I ever had was from my Papaws funeral.   Pretty to look at, but had a horrible smell that seemed to fill every space in my mobile home; it had to go.   

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal: kitchen odors! When I moved into my house years ago I, too had a musty smell coming from my kitchen. I cleaned everything, etc. All I could do was try to cover it up, open windows . Almost a year later I was having the kitchen remodeled. When the floor was removed I discovered the source of the musty smell was the plywood sub floor underneath where the previous homeowner's fridge/icemaker had been. The hose to the icemaker must have leaked. The subfloor was rotted from the water, and carpenter ants had taken up residence, although I could not recall seeing any.

Maybe check under your fridge?