Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting Architecture...

For those interested in the interiors, I'll be posting them soon as a separate post... Sorry for the delay! 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Very appealing!   Love those angled-out windows, the chimneys, and the twin copper-roofed wings at either end that look like they could be sunrooms.

Honored Contributor

Very pretty, but from a practical standpoint, heating it with all of those windows facing the water is going to be expensive. They do have at least three fireplaces to help out (three chimneys but possibly more than one fireplace per chimney) but firewood is a pretty expensive way to heat a place. I like the looks but all those windows will be really cold come the wintertime. (And judging by the trees behind the house it's pretty far north.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those interested, while I still haven't been able to locate a picture of the house juxtaposed against it's water view, I did learn the house sits on Lake Toxaway in North Carolina, which is in the southwestern part of the state near the South Carolina and Georgia borders... Here, however, is a shot of the lake...

Public Home - Lake Toxaway Country Club

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Very pretty, but from a practical standpoint, heating it with all of those windows facing the water is going to be expensive. They do have at least three fireplaces to help out (three chimneys but possibly more than one fireplace per chimney) but firewood is a pretty expensive way to heat a place. I like the looks but all those windows will be really cold come the wintertime. (And judging by the trees behind the house it's pretty far north.)

@gardenman Welcome, and while I can't speak to the heating costs, I just learned the house is actually in sourthern North Carolina. This is a second home, which always sort of blows me away, so one assumes expense was not at the top of the list for those who can afford to own a home like this purely as a 'get-away'... We should all be so fortunate!  Woman Wink  

Honored Contributor

I'm obviously in the minority. I don't love the exterior. It's ok, but I'm not a fan of the design. I don't love the dormers or double chimneys. I also don't like the material used on the roof and walls. The landscaping, view, and those beautiful trees are more appealing to me. 

Honored Contributor

Love the glass and the natural style of the home!

I wouldn't want to give up room for 2 fireplaces.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What an impressive looking home!  If the interior is as impressive, I'll take it!  Beautiful!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Love the glass and the natural style of the home!

I wouldn't want to give up room for 2 fireplaces.

My best guess would be there are four fireplaces at a minimum and possibly more. You have the two large central chimneys with rooms on either side and double fireplaces likely on at least one of those chimneys. Then there's a shorter chimney to the far right for another fireplace. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Oh my.....what's not to like!!!  Beautiful home and lot.