Honored Contributor

Interested in tutorials for making silk flower wreaths, etc.

Can anyone recommend where to go to see tutorials to learn how to make wreaths for doors and grave decorations using silk flowers?  The cost of purchasing these items is really high and when I go to craft stores, they have all the supplies but I have no idea how to put them together.  It would be so much cheaper and I would love to know how to do this.  We have two craft chain stores locally but they don't give any classes any more.  I'm not terribly good at crafts but would really like to give it a try.  Anyone have any suggestions?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Interested in tutorials for making silk flower wreaths, etc.

@AngelPuppy1 

Youtube has videos on how to do anything you could imagine.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

I make seasonal wreaths with silk flowers for my front and back doors and also give some as gifts to family and friends.  I've been doing this for many years.

I buy a lot of my supplies from the Dollar Green store (and other arts and crafts stores).  To start out you may want to buy a straw hat wreath for $1, and then choose flowers in various colors and some greenery.  As you continue to make wreaths, you may want to use grapevine or foam or wire wreath forms and just experiment with design and color.  It's a lot of fun.  I've even got some of my wreath forms from local thrift stores.

Google Wreath Design Tutorials for a variety of information on making wreaths.  Initially, you'll need a glue gun, wire cutters, greenery, wire ribbon or burlap,  and of course flowers.  Happy wreath making.

Here is one example of a tutorial:  https://youtu.be/u50MQhAPxs8  (Making a year round wreath).

Wreath making is a great hobby.  My Christmas wreath cost me about $25.00 and a similar wreath design on the Internet was well over $100.00.  That's a nice savings and my wreath is an original.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie 

As I stated, I am not crafty at all.  My dear Mother was so good at all these things, but me --- I'm terrible!  I always want a new wreath or decoration for my door for each season or holiday.  And I put new things on several graves. It does get very expensive!  And it's hard to find things in stores as well!  I was in 2 local well known craft places recently looking at all the beautiful silk flowers, greenery, etc. and I thought --- if only I knew how to do this, I could save so much money and also make these things look the way I want them to!  Thanks so much for your tips, I really appreciate them!  

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom 

Do you use any particular ones?  Thanks!