Esteemed Contributor

Re: Inside A $29,000,000 Mid-Century Japanese Garden Inspired Home

Georgous property.  I  could seriously live there and never go anywhere.

Dumb question, did I miss a kitchen?  I saw the bar and the outside bbq area but no actual kitchen.

Respected Contributor

While watching this video, I forgot where I was!   A sense of peace and serenity flowed over me.  I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks so much for sharing.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

Georgous property.  I  could seriously live there and never go anywhere.

Dumb question, did I miss a kitchen?  I saw the bar and the outside bbq area but no actual kitchen.

@CrazyKittyLvr2  I didn't notice any photos of a kitchen, either.  Maybe, it's never been updated & is still vintage 1970?  Who knows?  It is odd, though.

Honored Contributor

When we first moved to the San Francisco Bay Area in 1971 we visited someone who lived in Ross.

It wasn't this house.

Good thing.  If it had been, I would never have left.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aubnwa01  What a fantastically gorgeous home and property.

The Japanese gardens are beautiful in their serenity.

I would hope that any future owners would be able to keep

everything as it is. Thank you for posting.

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 

I watched about 1/2 of the video and will return to finish it.

Just amazing....how has that fabric remained so clean?  They must not have had pets Cat LOL  Most fabric would have dry-rotted by now.

Also, I would be interested to know what it cost to build the home.  It must have been very pricey even then.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure this is a stellar and shining example of this housing and decorating style. That said there is literally nothing about this home that resonates with me. Too big, too pricey, too modern, both inside and out, and I'm not a fan of Asian influenced architecture, gardens or interiors. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

This is a museum quality home....so serene and calming with the outdoors brought inside (F L Wright on steroids).  The son cherished his upbringing in this home and shares his stories and details with reverence.  How could you not be renewed coming home after a day's work to this exquisite garden with the soft walls and the majestic views...a treasure very few will be able to access.

The house was offered at 43 million two years ago and is now offered at 29, of course the family is aware of what is happening in our country financially.  Now is the time to release this treasure.  As much as we all would cherish the experience of this lifestyle, the taxes are almost 19,000 monthly, plus the significant maintenance.  A tall order financially for the buyer, and definitely worth it to experience this rare home.

Thank you @aubnwa01 for this zen experience...soothing just to watch.

Taxes are about $30,000 per year, @phoenixbrd , not $19,000 per month.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach 

Considering the house/location, $30,000 taxes per year is not crazy, IMO.  

Not that I could afford it or would want to pay that much Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

I wonder if the reason the property taxes are so low is because of Prop 13?  Since the home is basically still owned by the original owners, the taxes could be locked in at a lower rate. 

I haven't lived in CA since 1977, so I never understood the whole thing, but many of my family members who still live there have fought to keep their existing Prop 13 assessments, even when they sold & moved to a different home, though I'm not sure how.  It was the only way they could afford to live there.