Honored Contributor

Re: Incorporating Plates and Platters into Decor

That's a lot clip and post action.   I wouldn't do anything like that now.  We're in modern condo and I have gone with cleaner, less ornate, modern decor.   But I do have a great many decorator plates that were mine and that I inherited from my mother and her mother.  My mom had them on display and in her china cabinet until she downsized to an apartment and then I had them in my china cabinet and on the sideboard but I never hung any on the walls.  I do love the look of these, very creative and a great way to show off the plates.  My decorator plates and several sets of good china are in storage now.  Things like that don't fit into our lifestyle now and I don't think either of my daughters will ever want those things.  Perhaps a piece or two but not all of it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What comes around goes around and vise versa in decor.  My mother had plate decor on the wall when I married.  I had clean lines and mid century modern, did not want anything she had.  Oh, how I wish I could take that back.  My interior designer sister inherited it all and she has decorated her 3 daughters' homes with them and hers.  Now I love the collected, inherited look and have very little of it. Keep it. My daughter and I have the layered look but it is from auctions and flea markets, not my mother and grandmother.  My sister and her daughters have it.   Don't give it away.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have 2 plates that belonged to my Grandma. They were passed down from her ancestor who was German and lived in Fort Pitt pre revolutionary war.(many Germans settled Pittsburgh  area at that time). I have them out on my china cupboard. I also got as a bridal shower gift 48 years ago a set of 4 brass plates with a tile in the center that depicts a boy and his dog spring,summer,fall & winter.They are hanging vertically on a small wall in my living room. They were given to me by a co worker who has since passed away & I often think fondly of her when I pass them.

Honored Contributor

I like all of that, especially the dog plates, they make me smile.

Honored Contributor

I like hanging plates - they are a way to have color and decor that is not yet another picture.

Honored Contributor

Plates hanging or displayed are not for me. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have red and white toile above my large door in my living room; have three plates arranged in my bathroom; have a few more in my living room.  I love plates as decor. 

Respected Contributor

I have quite a collection of plates, some from my Mother, Grandmother, some from estate sales and auctions.   At one time I collected plates (still have the most interesting ones especially from the artist Lena Liu) 

I have a molding with a plate holder groove above my kitchen cabinets and a set of 12 floral plates along it.  In a couple rooms I have glass shelves and also stone shelves built into my fireplace wall and display interesting glassware and among those are some plates.  I also display plates in my china cabinet and curio cabinets.  I have wall groupings of pictures, mirrors, shelves, etc. and have used plates in round wood plate frames as pictures in a grouping.

I really like the JOY and LOVE plates shown in this post.

Honored Contributor

Some of these are cute, but it's just not me.  

Trusted Contributor

I love plates as wall decorations, and I think I have some in almost every room.  My decorating style is my own, I think, and I don't know what you would call it.  A mix of country, English country, French country, shabby "chic" (although I would never call myself chic, more just shabby) whatever.  I especially like the decor of the forties and early fifies, the years I was very little.  Just love the look of that period, with some updating of course.

Once I happened upon another message board posting about decorating with plates and someone said it was so "grandma".  Again, grandma getting a bad rap.  But I loved grandma, and love that kind of decorating.

I get if if others don't like it, but it's just what I like, and like to look at every day, so it works for me.