Esteemed Contributor

Re: In the throes of spring cleaning

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio , good for you.  I am one closet away from beginning the big clean.

I have gone through the garage, the basement, every closet in this house.  I spent some of December (starting with Christmas decorations, trees), all of January and half of February and started a whole house purge.  I have sold furniture, taken many many bags to donate, gone through all my paper, shredded 5 clear bags full, gotten rid of books from two degrees, gotten rid of novels, cookbooks, linens and clothing.

The office storage closet is my final job and I hope to finish that tomorrow.

Did I enjoy it?  No way.  A hateful job.  We have been here thirteen years and it was time.  I am so glad to see the end of it.

Next is the big clean.  Like @Mominohio , once the weather gets nice, I am outside until the late Fall.  No time for purging and the big clean then.

The purge thread here has been an inspiration.  Thanks to everyone for supporting the cause lol.

Now I am thinking what I can do to celebrate finishing the purge and looking forward to it.  LM

Trusted Contributor

ID2 Wrote:  

t's mid February! Why would I be "spring cleaning"??

"Pure Michigan"

I think it's a great idea to get a head start and begin the cleaning now!   When the weather starts getting nice I sure rather be outside enjoying the weather rather than being  inside cleaning the house!   Great idea @Mominohio!
Respected Contributor

This brings back a memory from childhood. My Mother had a friend whose Spring cleaning consisted of hitting the high spots and putting up plastic curtains. Will never forget the curtains blowing in the breeze. We loved her. One of a kind in a good way.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I started cleaning a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't planned.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes two days apart last month.  While recuperating I started looking around the house with my "new" eyes.  Good grief, I can see things I didn't see before.  I can't believe I didn't see the dust on top of the drapery rods and the handprints on the walls.  So I spent one whole day scouring both the bathrooms, the next day I took my bedroom apart and deep cleaned the whole room.  I cleaned all the blinds in the house.  I'm starting on the downstairs this week.  I have to get my Spring cleaning done before Spring because I have too much gardening to do starting in April.

@Scooby Doo 

My mom had cataract surgery on both eyes a year ago, and she was mortified at what she saw within just a day or two of the first surgery. 

First thing she said was "Where the hell did all these wrinkles on my face come from!" then she noticed things in cleaning she had missed. My mom is the cleanest person I know, and her house was very clean, but she still saw a ton of things not up to her standards with her 'new' eyes!  Television and nature were sure fascinating to her as well!

And I get you about the unplanned. This week, I started to take some paint splatters off one area of baseboard that had been there for years and bothering me, and before I was done, I had spent a whole day on my rear, scooting along and removing a ton of paint splatters the people who lived here before us had left on much of the baseboards. I always knew it was there, it always bothered me, but I just never took the time needed to take care of it. Well.....it's done now! LOL 

@Mominohio 

I was at the eye doctor a few years ago and a woman came out of the treatment room after having her eye patches removed and was yelling, "I can see, I can see."  She then turns to her husband and says, "let's go to the mall and out to lunch.  I can't face seeing how dirty the house is just yet."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The past few weeks, every day I wake up and say "today" - it never happens!

Sista!

I'll stopby with cheesecake. We'll talk. 😉

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

It's mid February! Why would I be "spring cleaning"??

@ID2   So the house will be clean by Spring. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Growing up we used to do spring and fall cleaning. 

My mother changed the curtains in the kitchen and the bedrooms and the bedspreads on all the beds.

It was a time for moving the furniture, washing windows, waxing the kitchen floor.

In between was weekly vacuuming and dusting and damp mopping the floor.

When I grew up my job was to strip the wax off of the bathroom and kitchen floors every Saturday,  then rewax them.  I was not allowed to leave the house until that job was done. They were damped mopped every day.

No wonder my knees are messed up and hurt all of the time...I'd never do that again.  I wish I only had to do that for spring and fall cleaning.  

Thank goodness, none of my floors need that kind of maintenance.

Frequent Contributor

@Mominohio  your post has inspired me to continue on my quest.  I think this cold weather has given me cabin fever so I too have started cleaning.  Our home has three levels and it takes me a few weekends to get it all cleaned.  I guess the mixed blessing of the basement flooding was that I had to deep clean that level a couple months ago! LOL! 

Honored Contributor

@qshpr89 wrote:

@Mominohio  your post has inspired me to continue on my quest.  I think this cold weather has given me cabin fever so I too have started cleaning.  Our home has three levels and it takes me a few weekends to get it all cleaned.  I guess the mixed blessing of the basement flooding was that I had to deep clean that level a couple months ago! LOL! 

@qshpr89 

Oh my, I've had several flooded basements in my time, and I have to say, it is the biggest mess, and such a loss of things one is trying to keep or use just part of the year. We had a pretty bad flooded basement here shortly after we moved in (on a Christmas morning nonetheless!) and it was because we needed to re run some drainage tiles, it was just rain water backing up through the drain. Once done, and a sump installed, we haven't had troubles. 

I swore after that cleaning out, that I'd not keep much in the basement anymore, but over the last 20 years that has pretty much gone out the window and it is crammed down there. I still cringe every time we get a heavy rain. I have things up on shelving and other things stacked on pallets set two high, but still, life would be less stressful if the basement were essentially empty. I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

I can't see if I replied previously but boy you are my "inspiration" for sure now!  Why?

My niece & hubby were here and we were discussing how my spouse volunteered countless days, weekends & hours after 9 -11 at the Fishkill Landfill scouring thru debris and more trying to identify those lost.  

During this time, he collected many memorable things which were identified and returned.  Some other things I won't share so upsetting😥.

Anyway, he and others were honored at a ceremony so he was sharing his shadowbox and plaque w/commendation. OMgoodness - the dust on it was disgusting🤭.  He said "housekeeping needed as I crawled under the table!".  Everyone got a big laugh then he had the nerve to bring another shadowbox with his medals, etc. thru his law enforcement 35 year career....

so for sure our bedroom will be the cleanest place in the house after tomorrow I'm getting him on ladder to do fan & woodwork -- we have vaulted ceilings.  God forbid the painter sees dust before he paints in 2 weeks....lol!!!