Honored Contributor

Re: In the throes of spring cleaning

@Mominohio 

Here is a mom's cleaning schedule that you might find funny.Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I will not be spring cleaning until the weather breaks for good.  That means usually mid to the end of May.  We got more snow last night and for me to spring clean my main floor at this time would be a wasted effort with snowy/wet feet coming into the house via the dog. 

I do wash down my walls, wipe down the ceiling, do baseboards, wipe all the wood tables and furniture down with Murphy's Oil Soap, etc.  Every knick-knack gets washed.  I cannot imagne not wiping down my walls, especially in the bathrooms and kitchen, unless I painted every year or 2 which to me is a complete waste of time and money. 

To those commenting about the OP spring cleaning in winter, I believe when spring does arrive, she is outdoors doing planting and other outdoor tasks because she has a farm.        

@Lipstickdiva 

Nothing smells more like 'home' than Murphy's Oil Soap. My grandma used it and so did my mom. I hope they never stop making it. It's really great for the wood furniture in the middle of the winter, when the house gets so dried out. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Mominohio 

Here is a mom's cleaning schedule that you might find funny.Cat Tongue

@lolakimono 

I"ve done a few of the monthly things, but won't admit to them in a court of law! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mominohio ...I do similar cleaning, but do not wash walls.  Your house sounds huge as well as your outdoor area.   I like to have things to do but I think all the area you have to care for would be more that I would like to have to take care of, and I cannot believe I said that beause I am always looking for a project!

@Mom2Dogs 

Yeah, the kiddo left home almost two years ago, and the place is seeming to be getting bigger all the time. If it were up to me, I'd be planning on downsizing some, but I don't see that in the future, as my husband wants nothing to do with it. 

In the meantime, I'm trying to purge things and set up what we do have to make it less work than it has in the past. Removing 40 trees (with more to come) was part of that plan, reducing a lot of outside work. Emptying a lot of things out of the house is making it easier too. 

Honored Contributor

I've never cleaned like that, no matter what age I was.  These days I have neither the agility nor the energy.  I admire anyone who does.  Kudos!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
I'm just not into it this year, normally by this time, I am almost finished. Too many other and more critical things to do this year (family members illnesses that demand my attention), when I do have some time I find I just don't have the gumption (lol) to get up and get at it. I did get the dining room and living room done, except windows and curtains. That may be all that gets done this time around. It will still be there waiting for me, if things ever calm down enough for me to get my breath and ambition back. Good for you for being on top of everything. I am still plugging away with some small amount of purging when I see things that don't get used anymore.

@Snicks1 

I was dragging my feet too this year. I used to really love to dive into it. I still feel the need, and love the results, but have to do some fast talking to get myself started now. 

And it's one of those things that once I'm into it, I just don't want to stop until it's done. I tend to work at it for about two weeks, taking a day off every two or three, but basically not resting till it is done. 

Once into it, I enjoy it to some extent, as I just like cleaning and decorating, it's just the physical pain now takes away some of the joy. The results make up for it though!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio 

can you send some of your energy my way?😉

Ive had back to back company since mid-January.  I can say my guest bedroom & bath are clean (to the max).

Wednesday we are having friends in for the week.  I got a little break.  

I am thinking of hiring the service I had after they finished the floors.  I never had a cleaner house & well worth $100.

Bet when you go into those areas it feels good!  Our community yard sale is coming up -- all excess from home to tableware/kitchen, linens & more are going (or trash/donate).

Then I'll do "spring" cleaning as the rest of the house is being painted 2ndweek of March.

Good job🌷

@homedecor1 

All that company sounds fun! I love to have people around and spend time with family and friends! More fun than deep cleaning for sure!

I have several areas that need painting and I'm struggling with whether or not to do it myself or hire it done. I hate painting with a passion. But I'm guessing that when I take quotes on the work, I'll have a stroke at what it costs to hire it done. We did a bedroom several years ago, and our upstairs hallway two years ago. I'm going to tackle the family room this spring, as it has lower ceiling and not so hard to work, I won't even need a ladder for the walls, so that shouldn't be too bad. 

Yeah, that $100 for a service to clean up after contractors make a mess, sounds like a great deal! I'd do that too!

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine wrote:

@Mominohio 

I truly admire you.  You're right on top of things.

There were many years I looked forward to both spring & fall cleaning because I loved the end results & took pride in it. 

The past few years, I get tired out more easily & have cut corners.  I'm not proud of it either.  I told DH he needs to help since he's working only part-time.  If not, I'm hiring someone (doubt it will happen though.)... we'll see how that goes over Woman Frustrated   

.. who knows, maybe the more I think about your post, I'll feel more motivated to do a better job.  I hope so.

@ScenicMaine 

I feel your pain! Each passing year I enjoy it less and less. I still love to clean house and keep a home, but that deep cleaning is physically getting harder on me, and takes away the joy it used to be. But I just can't live in an environment that doesn't get deep cleaned on some kind of regular basis. For me, it's just most practical to do it this time of year, and have it all done in the span of a week or two. Then I can get onto what spring and summer brings.....tons of outdoor work! LOL

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I started cleaning a couple of weeks ago, but it wasn't planned.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes two days apart last month.  While recuperating I started looking around the house with my "new" eyes.  Good grief, I can see things I didn't see before.  I can't believe I didn't see the dust on top of the drapery rods and the handprints on the walls.  So I spent one whole day scouring both the bathrooms, the next day I took my bedroom apart and deep cleaned the whole room.  I cleaned all the blinds in the house.  I'm starting on the downstairs this week.  I have to get my Spring cleaning done before Spring because I have too much gardening to do starting in April.

@Scooby Doo 

My mom had cataract surgery on both eyes a year ago, and she was mortified at what she saw within just a day or two of the first surgery. 

First thing she said was "Where the hell did all these wrinkles on my face come from!" then she noticed things in cleaning she had missed. My mom is the cleanest person I know, and her house was very clean, but she still saw a ton of things not up to her standards with her 'new' eyes!  Television and nature were sure fascinating to her as well!

And I get you about the unplanned. This week, I started to take some paint splatters off one area of baseboard that had been there for years and bothering me, and before I was done, I had spent a whole day on my rear, scooting along and removing a ton of paint splatters the people who lived here before us had left on much of the baseboards. I always knew it was there, it always bothered me, but I just never took the time needed to take care of it. Well.....it's done now! LOL 

Honored Contributor

The past few weeks, every day I wake up and say "today" - it never happens!