Honored Contributor

In the market for new vacuum cleaner upright model.

hello all

I am looking for a new vacuum cleaner (upright model) for my whole house carpeting. baths/kitchen are not carpeted.

I have that ULTRA thick,soft carpeting so have to have something that will work on this ultra soft plush pile carpeting.

OK guys what can you tell me about vacuum cleaners for ultra plush carpeting (upright models only). thanks for any ideas you can give me.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: In the market for new vacuum cleaner upright model.

Dyson...I swear by these machines. I have the Royal Palace rugs and they clean down to the pad. I also have wall to wall and a variety of hard surfaces. This brand has worked for me and lasts years and years. We always have German Shepherd dogs and its great with dog hair. It also picks up fine particles or "stuff" that people track in from the outside. I do use all the extra attachments so for my needs they are not throw aways.

What I did when I was looking for a stick model was to take a trip to the BBB store and check out the different brands and weight in my hand. Best idea I had. I was surprsied by the difference in weight and I could feel the qualtiy of construction pushing them around a bit. I do think that you get more attachements with QVC /HSN but check the sales at BBB (with coupone) and Kohl's with (coupons) before you purchase.

I won't own anything else for our needs.  

Esteemed Contributor

Dyson...I swear by these machines. I have the Royal Palace rugs and they clean down to the pad. I also have wall to wall and a variety of hard surfaces. This brand has worked for me and lasts years and years. We always have German Shepherd dogs and its great with dog hair. It also picks up fine particles or "stuff" that people track in from the outside. I do use all the extra attachments so for my needs they are not throw aways.

What I did when I was looking for a stick model was to take a trip to the BBB store and check out the different brands and weight in my hand. Best idea I had. I was surprsied by the difference in weight and I could feel the qualtiy of construction pushing them around a bit. I do think that you get more attachements with QVC /HSN but check the sales at BBB (with coupone) and Kohl's with (coupons) before you purchase.

I won' 

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry for the double post. I had computer issues with posting. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just got a Riccar cordless upright and this vacuum is amazing. 

Honored Contributor

SHARK.  Performs and costs less.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Another vote for the Shark brand--got mine at Best Buy on a great sale a few years ago.

Trusted Contributor

I do not recommend the Dyson vacuums at all. I have had two, first one only last a little over two years, second one, the ball canister, main cleaning head fell apart three times and currently duck taped to stay together. I just ordered the TSV Shark and hoping for the best.

Honored Contributor

I prefer the Shark uprights over the Dysons.  Less expensive and better suction longer.  Also, cheaper to buy new filters.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two Orecks - both uprights - One is cordless - both do an excellent job.