Honored Contributor

Re: In the market for new vacuum cleaner upright model.

My mom had a Riccar upright and loved it.  Its now in my garage but I've never needed or used it.  I've noticed in my reading that they're very highly rated.  She got hers cat a vacuum cleaner shop.  There are a number of excellent vacuums that are never seen at BBB or QVC, possibly the best ones.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I prefer the Shark uprights over the Dysons.  Less expensive and better suction longer.  Also, cheaper to buy new filters.

@geezerette. The advantage of the Dysons is that they can be repaired, parts replaced.  Sharks cannot be repaired, they are designed to be replaced.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

my kitchen vac is a shark and it does a good job. am leaning towards a shark. 

great posts guys giving me good ideas. 

Occasional Contributor

My mom used a Kirby and when I married I bought a Kirby.They're expensive, but I do not worry about my vacuum cleaner going out. In fact, if you want a new Kirby, they will pay you for your old Kirby and put the money on the new Kirby. I have the kind that is self-propelled which is a step up from my mom's because they are heavy to push.I'm talking decades of use.They just never wear out as far as I know from normal use.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

I prefer the Shark uprights over the Dysons.  Less expensive and better suction longer.  Also, cheaper to buy new filters.

@geezerette. The advantage of the Dysons is that they can be repaired, parts replaced.  Sharks cannot be repaired, they are designed to be replaced.

@Kachina624 

True.  But my Dyson needed several repairs in its relatively short lifetime--for the price I wasn't overly impressed.  I've already had my Shark longer than the Dyson and it's not needed any repairs.  And Dyson filters were expensive compared to Shark.  

They both have features that I like and dislike.  But out-of-the-box-brand-new I liked the Shark better.  So it's a matter of personal choice. 🤗

Trusted Contributor

I  bought many vacuums here both Dyson and Shark. I have to say the one I  like the most is the new  Shark  thay offered this christmas. I bought it because hubby has developed Asthma. This new Shark has a system that works especially for allergies. I've always been a frequent vacuumer, but this vacuum picks up more dirt then any other vacuum other than my Rainbow I have ever had.

Super Contributor

VERY, very, very happy with my Shark (a model that can stand up, not a top heavy one like was on yesterday)...I bought it from QVC several years ago and it works so well, and has a surface brush that easily pops in place for my tile and hardwood. I used to buy the big name brands and have to replace almost every year...I LOVE the Shark!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer Dyson to Shark, and I have both. The Dyson has stood the test of time and their CS is excellent. Meanwhile, the Shark seemed to perform well for a couple of years, but appears to be petering out... That said, I'm looking for something lighter weight (and less costly) than my original older Dyson and something that will do a thorough job on area rugs and hard woods... It seems to me that just about anything does a reasonably good job with carpets and more substantial rugs.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had Shark Lift-Away uprights for a very long time and I always thought they were the best vacs ever made....and then one day when I thought Shark couldn't get any better, they did!  I bought the Shark Speed Lift-Away Zero-M (not the Duoclean) with that self-cleaning brush roll and it was such a game changer for me. No more cleaning hair or lint crud wrapped around a brush roll no more! Angels were singing and the sea parted...best vac ever made!! It's fiercely top rated everywhere it's sold.

ETA - The new Zero-M Lift-Away is an all new design. They changed many things on the vac. It even uses different size filters from the old Lift-Aways. You can feel it grab on to the floor...it has such powerful suction that I had to turn it down so I could push it easier. Never had to ever do that with any other vac I have ever owned before.

Esteemed Contributor

@catnip714 wrote:

My mom used a Kirby and when I married I bought a Kirby.They're expensive, but I do not worry about my vacuum cleaner going out. In fact, if you want a new Kirby, they will pay you for your old Kirby and put the money on the new Kirby. I have the kind that is self-propelled which is a step up from my mom's because they are heavy to push.I'm talking decades of use.They just never wear out as far as I know from normal use.

Kirby is Expensive -- and Very Heavy.

Best to read reviews on various sites about brands and prices before purchasing. If a vacuum lasts several years --- just toss. Cheaper than getting it repaired.