Honored Contributor

In the market for new appliances ? Read August Consumer Reports first

[ Edited ]

August 2019 Consumer Reports has a new feature compiling reliability ratings on major appliance lines.  These are taken from subscriber surveys, which I dutifully fill out every year.  Results are broken down by line and specific appliance within the line.  Some results are shocking.  The worst two lines overall are Electrolux and Viking.  The line that rates highest and has appliances in all categories is LG. If you don't have access to a copy at your local market or newsstand, you can stop in at your local library.  They caution that reliability is not necessarily an indicator of performance.  Performance has been rated in separate articles over the years.  

Honored Contributor

Re: In the market for new appliances ? Read August Consume Reports first

My husband signed up for a subscription to Consumer Reports a few years ago. But I must admit I have not read any of the issues. 

When we were first married we subscribed for many years. I used to read the magazine cover to cover. Then we stopped getting it. When my husband signed up for it again. I just never got into the habit of reading it. I think I better start reading it again.

Thanks

Honored Contributor

If you enjoy CR then check out their TV show on NBC Saturday mornings titled Consumer 101. Each week they discuss different products and also give good advice for things related to consumer buying tips and consumer safety.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee - I did not know that so thank you for this info

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

@SilleeMee - I did not know that so thank you for this info

@riley1 

You're welcome. The TV show is pretty basic. They don't go into brands but rather give you tips on what to look for. Some of the stuff they show is common sense but some people need to know that, too. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Honestly, there really are no reliable brands anymore. Nothing is built to last.  My 3 year old high-end dishwasher aleady had to be replaced, and the service guy said Bosch is the best.  But then I read terrible reviews on that brand too.  I now just buy good extended warranties on every appliance as there are no guarantees.

Honored Contributor

@busymom22 Love my Bosch dishwasher.

Respected Contributor

Re: In the market for new appliances ? Read August Consumer Reports first

Consumer Reports has good articles on sunscreens each year that I wait for.
Honored Contributor

After 16 months I finally gave up fighting with Samsung over my broken ice maker.  I finally found a repairman who would work on Samsung🙂.

After he checked my problem, he indicated the "heater module" is missing a part -- obviously not installed at factory.  This part is needed to keep the water line from freezing after mechanism (arm) turns/drops ice.

Well, it was estimated to cost $300-350 to repair.  No thanks!  

I told him I would contact Samsung again.  He said if you decide to replace the fridge don't buy GE you'll have the same problem as Samsung recently bought & manufacturers the GE appliance division.

Just great that's what I planned to buy🤷‍♀️

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

After 16 months I finally gave up fighting with Samsung over my broken ice maker.  I finally found a repairman who would work on Samsung🙂.

After he checked my problem, he indicated the "heater module" is missing a part -- obviously not installed at factory.  This part is needed to keep the water line from freezing after mechanism (arm) turns/drops ice.

Well, it was estimated to cost $300-350 to repair.  No thanks!  

I told him I would contact Samsung again.  He said if you decide to replace the fridge don't buy GE you'll have the same problem as Samsung recently bought & manufacturers the GE appliance division.

Just great that's what I planned to buy🤷‍♀️

Actually, your repairman was incorrect about who bought GE Appliances.  A Chinese company called Haier bought GE Appliances.  Samsung and LG were both in negotiations to buy GE Appliances when it was up for sale several years ago, but both deals fell through.  My husband was a GE employee (on the financial side) for 19 years so he's well aware of the comings and goings of all the various GE business units.