Respected Contributor

Re: In the market for a new fridge

We had a Samsung French door refrigerator. I loved it until after the warranty ran out of started having temperature control problems. Oh the food we had to throw out. We had it repaired several times but it always reoccurred. We finally bought just a standard refrigerator, freezer on top. In looking at reviews on Amazon I found many other people having the same problem.

Frequent Contributor

Bought a Samsung package deal and what a terrible expensive mistake that was!  Same things happened to me right after warranty ran out.  Refrigerator ice maker broke, dishwasher pump broke, stove doesn't keep temperature.  Wish I would have went with LG but unless I win lottery will have to live with my mistakes for awhile!  I will NEVER buy SAMSUNG again!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We purchased a Maytag French Door refrigerator counter depth in 2009 and we've had no problem with it.  

Respected Contributor

@Elomwrote:

I can’t decide on GE or whirlpool French door. I have read most of the reviews and it’s pretty much still 50/50. Any thoughts.

GE sold their appliance division to Haier, a Chinese company so I wouldn't have touched a GE when they built them, let alone now.  You're going to hear everything here from don't buy this to don't buy that.  Personally, I think it's a ****** shoot on whether you get a lemon in something.  I've had a Samsung and never had a problem with it.  Now I have a french door LG and so far, so good.  I really like it but I've only had it for 7 months so I can't say what it'll be like down the road.  I've also had GE's in the past and hated them which is why I swore off all GE products in my home.

Good luck and I hope you purchase something you like and that works well for you.

Honored Contributor

I HATE our French door fridge.  There simply isn't enough room for tall things.  I hate the bottom freezer as well because you have to dig for food and it is difficult to get things stacked back so that the door will close.  

It will ALMOST close, you think it is closed, but it isn't and ice crystals build up.  

Valued Contributor

I bought this KitchenAid last December.  I really like it.  Good luck!

KitchenAid - 25.8 Cu. Ft. 5-Door French Door Refrigerator - Stainless steel - Front_Standard  

Honored Contributor

@Bri36wrote:

We just bought a house to flip.  

We bought a Whirlpool appliance package for the kitchen.  It's really nice.  I'm impressed with it.  I went with the side by side instead of the French door.  The French door would have been $700 more.  

I'd rather put the $700 to better use - like flooring or counters.

@Bri36 That’s awesome! Congratulations and good luck! 

Respected Contributor

@Mj12, thanks.   It’s very exciting - and scary.  Lol

Honored Contributor

I prefer GE and Whirlpool; currently have the largest 2 door model GE in my kitchen, a Whirlpool fridge in my TV room for overflow, and a Whirlpool freezer on the bottom fridge in the garage for drinks, and the food my daughters buy.   

My kitchen fridge is huge inside; holds a lot of food, but is very cheaply made.   The crisper drawers are deep and easily hold 2 of the largest heads of cabbage, but any real weight in the drawers pulls them down, because the frame they slide into is not strong enough to support the weight.   I also do not like the fact the refrigerator shelves are built in place, are not adjustable, or removable for cleaning.   The door gaskets are extremely cheap, and my family has learned to push on the fridge and freezer doors to be sure they are closed, since we don’t sense that firm “seal” with this appliance.   

The main thing I have learned with buying a new refrigerator is do not buy one that has an ice maker, if you are not going to use the ice maker.  Order the model that does not have an ice maker.   I learned that lesson on the Whirlpool in the garage.  It leaked water the entire time it was in the kitchen, because it was trying to create its own water supply.   It went to the garage during our kitchen update, and my husband blew the lines clear with his air compressor, and removed the ice maker.  Works fine now, but I’m not going thru the hassle of moving it back to the kitchen- - - unless the new one dies first.   

Honored Contributor

We have a Samsung side by side here (we call it Apollo 13) and I don't even know what we have at the other houses. 

Plus we have a new one still in the box for our latest house.  Not sure what that one is, either.  I do know it's the smallest footprint we could find for a side by side.  Less than 30" wide.

The Samsung had the panel go last year, but it was still under warrenty.  The guy that came to work on it says his whole list of calls for the day, was for Samsungs.  Woman Surprised

But that could be for any brand and any appliance. 

All I know is, I will never get another Maytag dishwasher because the one I have here does the worst job, no matter what cycle I use.