Respected Contributor

Re: In Home Generator all hooked up and Ready for use need be

We have a whole house Generac and it sure came in handy when Dorian left us without power recently.  Expensive - but worth it if you can afford it.

Valued Contributor

I have a question. I currently have a who,e house generac. I have had it for a year. I got a call from the installer and they needed to do the yearly maintenance. This I was told was to protect the warranty. Cost was $300. I was shocked is this normal. 

Honored Contributor

@Elom wrote:

I have a question. I currently have a who,e house generac. I have had it for a year. I got a call from the installer and they needed to do the yearly maintenance. This I was told was to protect the warranty. Cost was $300. I was shocked is this normal. 

@Elom   Yes. We were quoted About $500 a year.😶

Honored Contributor

@Elom,

Yes, you must service your generator yearly to maintain your warranty, and protect your investment.   

Mine is serviced yearly in October when my heat pump is serviced.   The generator uses oil that needs to be changed.   Since my generator has never run longer than 3 full days at a time, nor more than 5 days a year, the oil has been changed every 2 years.   I am in West Virginia and have never paid more than $200 for this yearly maintenance.

Honored Contributor

We live in a rural area and have had outages rather often. We decided to get a whole house generator installed. We've had it for almost a year now and still haven't had the opportunity to use it. I never wanted our power to go out so much just to try it. It does do a test once a week but we still haven't been able to use it. With ours, we are able to run everything as if we have power in our house and in our carriage house. So having guests still won't be inconvenienced if we lose power. 

"Pure Michigan"