Respected Contributor

Re: If you were building a new house - what would you want in it ?

Everything on one level (current living room is 3 steps down, office and mudroom are two steps up) and a POWDER ROOM! We have a master bath, but since it's just the 2 of us, DH uses the full guest bath in the hall. Would be nice to have a little powder room that's always clean for guests.

I'd also like a sun room or screened porch. We have lots of deck space, but mosquitoes and other creeping things are a problem.

Honored Contributor

Has anyone mentioned his n' her closets? When I look at floor plans, some have them and I like that idea.

Trusted Contributor

Location/location/location/Storage/storage/storage.  So if price were no object, I would have a large eat-in-kitchen with a gas stove, double over, butler's pantry, and a table where I could sit and drink my coffee and look into the yard.  I would have everything on one level.  A master bedroom with his/her walk in closets.  (He doesn't really need one, but in my fantasy he is not in my closet.)  A master bath with separate shower and tub, vanity, and a closet for storage of bathroom items.  I would (in my fantasy) have a separate bathroom for DH. A nice linen closet.  All other bedrooms have large or walk in closets. A coat closet for visiting guests.  A front porch with a swing, and a back screened in/ four season room with views of the beautiful yard.  Oh a really nice laundry room like I see on the HGTV shows where there is plenty of room for folding and storage.  A comfy room to read. A place to work out.  A nice big garage, and a work shed for DH to putter around in. 
Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

I built but I also downsized. My master bedroom is big with walk in closet and master bathroom. I did open concept living room kitchen and dining, something I didn't have in my first home. I gave up a lot but am very happy in my new home. 

Honored Contributor

Everything on the same floor. Including a large storage area kinda like a basement.

The easier it is to get around a house the longer you will stay.

Honored Contributor

We are in our brand new "dream home". I picked everything I ever wanted to have designed into this home. But the main ingredient was being on a lake. Here we are, living out our retirement years, with the view to warm anyones heart. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

Nice views.  Have them now; will lay on my sword to preserve them.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

someone to cook for me

after nearly 40 years I am sick of cooking

good cook but sick of planning it 

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Has anyone mentioned his n' her closets? When I look at floor plans, some have them and I like that idea.

We have these in our current house and we absolutely love them.He can keep his the unholy mess he loves and mine stays nice and neat.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

We have these in our current house and we absolutely love them.He can keep his the unholy mess he loves and mine stays nice and neat.

This made me laugh. My mom said she wanted his and her closets for the same reason. But they ended up not getting it in the new house. It will just be one big walk in.