Valued Contributor

Re: If you've had cleaning people what was......

First of all, THAT PRICE IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!! I’ve had cleaning people for years AND cleaned a house bi-weekly when my kids were in school for a little fun money.  I can tell you that with absolute certainty, you are being taken advantage of. I’m mad just reading your post! I now have someone WHO IS THE BEST EVER. My best advice is stay away from services! They work their people to the bone and keep the bulk of the money for themselves. (I can’t speak for every area, but in So. California that is business as usual.) I found the best house cleaner EVER through Care.com. If not that, talk to people you trust and see if any of them have a referral for you. But please, please, please do not use that company that wants $400! I’d come clean your house myself if you were near me, and would be hard-pressed to ask for $100 for what you described. Good luck and have a wonderful rest of your week.😊🌻

Esteemed Contributor

I live in suburbs of a 2 mil population metro area. Midwest. A young lady comes to my home once a month and does the things I don't like doing anymore -- plus I still work. She wipes wooden blinds -- wipes ceiling fan blades -- wipes ceiling lights and bathroom lights. Dusts crown molding and baseboards. Dusts window sills. Dusts artwork and frames. $20/hr and I give her a 20% tip because she's so thorough and inexpensive. She has kids in elementary school and earns money while they're out of the house. Ideal. I hope I can keep her. I clean the rest of the house once or twice weekly. Do laundry every other day and put away. I like things neat and clean.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I would let them do the deep clean and maybe schedule a c...

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I would let them do the deep clean and maybe schedule a couple visits until you can do it your self.  Unless I totally could not do it my self I would hate paying that much money out on a regular basis.  But I am a thrifty person.....

Esteemed Contributor

. $90. Every 2 weeks.  : LR, DR, Den, studio, large foyer laundry room, kitchen 3 Bedrooms and 3 baths. ( regular cleaning.) 

On the week she doesn’t come I deep clean something.I always change my bed. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ifeelwicked   I saw your post when I got home, after the cleaning was done. House looks nice but I could do just  as well if physically able. I will not pay her prices again.  I thought about the 2 young women she had with her.  What do they get paid?

@Mom2Dogs   I am just doing this until I get my new knee and am physically able.  I hate spending the money too.  I am retired and it's not like I dont have the  time to clean.  Now if my remaining joints only hold out.

Honored Contributor

I had a deep cleaning of my entire house after the floors and other renovations were done.  Of course, in FL everything is cheaper (than up north) -- If I recall it was 2 ladies, 5 hours and $100 - $150.

they did a great job!  Wish I'd get them again but I like to clean (I know I'm nutty!)maybe after the holidays I'll have them come again.

Years ago I was in the housecleaning business with my relative.  We did large homes (3,000+ sq. ft) and were all day jobs, including bed changing.  Some of these clients had kids and boy, total slobs!  We charged $300/day and no one ever blinked a eye because we did a great job.  

On houses such as cape cod size or small ranchers:  $160/4 hours.  

I think if I'm satisfied and the cleaning people do a good job -- I'd be happy to pay them!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm probably missing something that other people do, but when you talk about walls and ceilings, what exactly are the cleaning people going to do? Is that washing the walls and ceilings? And is that in each of your rooms?

My cleaning person found a full-time job with benefits, so I lost her services last month. We have an 1800 sq ft town house. She vacuumed and also washed the tile floors, cleaned 2 1/2 bathrooms, dusted both levels....that was about it. I paid $65 for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours of work.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to have my walls and ceilings cleaned it would cost me about $400...just for the walls and ceiling...nothing else. They charge by the hour and it takes two to three days.

Wall cleaning is not part of routine or deep-clean housekeeping. That is something which is usually done separately and charged accordingly.

Valued Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Ifeelwicked   I saw your post when I got home, after the cleaning was done. House looks nice but I could do just  as well if physically able. I will not pay her prices again.  I thought about the 2 young women she had with her.  What do they get paid?

@Mom2Dogs   I am just doing this until I get my new knee and am physically able.  I hate spending the money too.  I am retired and it's not like I dont have the  time to clean.  Now if my remaining joints only hold out.

I'm so sorry I couldn’t get to you sooner. Her “crew” is making minimum wage, would be my guess! She made bank from your job!!! 😡 Wishing you the very best until you get your new knee, and a speedy recovery thereafter.🌸🌷🌸

Esteemed Contributor

@Ifeelwicked   Thanks.  While I'm glad it's done, after thinking about it, if I could I'd kick my own butt I would.  I have no choice about the surgery but I hate being forced to do something.  I just can't keep going like this. Golden years my Aunt Fanny.