Honored Contributor

Re: If you're into (the hobby of) coloring like I am now, how's it going for you?

@TRUPHILLYLDY wrote:

As a holder of a fine arts degree from a very prestigious school, I thought something like this would certainly be beneath me!  I am retired now and not very stressed out these days but I don't do much of anything artistically anymore,just lazy ,I guess.  Well I saw an article about these adult coloring books and they looked really exciting.  In the old days I probably would want to be the book designer, but now I just want to  color someone else,s designs.  Told you I'm lazy.  Now I can't put the darn book down!  Wake up in the middle of the night plotting which colors to use on the next design.  I'm doing the mandala designs now, but am looking forward to my next book of Mehndi drawings.  They look like fun.  Also want to say that I like Crayola colored pencils better than the more expensive Prismacolor pencils.  Walmart has a box of 100 pencils for about  15 dollars.  The colors are great and go on very well. Have fun  with your new adventure!

I have a degree in art education and we were taught that coloring books stifled all creativity and should never be used.  My own son never owned a coloring book but he had reams of plain paper and all the coloring devices he could want or use.  I don't think I could bring myself to pick up a coloring book, no matter how finely detailed, and coloring within the lines.  I'd have to do something more creative than that. 

As as soon as I buy anything for my house, I immediately start plotting and planning how I can "personalize" it and make it "mine".  No object around here is just as it came from the store.  I don't hesitate buying something the wrong shape or color knowing I can fix it, and I have so much fun!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: If you're into (the hobby of) coloring like I am now, how's it going for you?

@Kachina624 wrote:

@TRUPHILLYLDY wrote:

As a holder of a fine arts degree from a very prestigious school, I thought something like this would certainly be beneath me!  I am retired now and not very stressed out these days but I don't do much of anything artistically anymore,just lazy ,I guess.  Well I saw an article about these adult coloring books and they looked really exciting.  In the old days I probably would want to be the book designer, but now I just want to  color someone else,s designs.  Told you I'm lazy.  Now I can't put the darn book down!  Wake up in the middle of the night plotting which colors to use on the next design.  I'm doing the mandala designs now, but am looking forward to my next book of Mehndi drawings.  They look like fun.  Also want to say that I like Crayola colored pencils better than the more expensive Prismacolor pencils.  Walmart has a box of 100 pencils for about  15 dollars.  The colors are great and go on very well. Have fun  with your new adventure!

I have a degree in art education and we were taught that coloring books stifled all creativity and should never be used.  My own son never owned a coloring book but he had reams of plain paper and all the coloring devices he could want or use.  I don't think I could bring myself to pick up a coloring book, no matter how finely detailed, and coloring within the lines.  I'd have to do something more creative than that. 

As as soon as I buy anything for my house, I immediately start plotting and planning how I can "personalize" it and make it "mine".  No object around here is just as it came from the store.  I don't hesitate buying something the wrong shape or color knowing I can fix it, and I have so much fun!

This fall, I'll be 68. There's no "creativity" coming now. This coloring, allows for relaxation and concentration. It's something enjoyable. This is now the extent of my creativity and I feel like a genious now. LOL. It's for fun. To each, his own.

You evidentally have talent. Very good!! Enjoy.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, it sounds like you gals are having fun. I suppose it would be if I had the time to sit and do it, I can't imagine that though as I am extremely busy the entire time I am awake ! Obviously, if I had that kind of freedom by the time I'd probably use it  it is extremely in the distance ,so   I  would use that time to get ahead with reading or sleeping instead.

Honored Contributor

I don't agree that coloring books stifle creativity.  If you saw mine, you'd see plaid elephants and paisley trees.  If you have creative tendencies you'll use them in a creative way, if you don't, you can still enjoy the mindfulness of coloring.  I don't have time to color very often, but when I do, it's very relaxing.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I've got quite the stash and a wide variety of books. My favorites are scenes and animals but all are fun. I even now have "pocket" ones that fit in my purse for stressful vet or dr.s visits. I have pens, pencils and watercolor pencils and mix and match them on a scene. I always loved coloring as a child and never thought they made"adult" books until several months back when someone on the board mentioned it. LOVE it!

Valued Contributor

Those of you who recommend the Crayola Colored Pencils, are you talking about the regular colored pencils that are sold in drug stores for children?

Also, I would like some deep, rich colors, can anyone recommend some for me? TIA

Valued Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm a purist. I use children's coloring books (my favorite is ****** and Jane), and Crayola crayons.  I did invest in a battery powered crayon sharpener a few years ago. It makes all the difference. It restores the point to what it was like new.

house-cat,

Can you tell me the name of your crayon sharpener, and where you got it? TIA

Honored Contributor

i just bought an excellent coloring book for my 23 year old and a cousin who is 17. anyone have any recommendations on some good quality colored pencils? i bought the books at francescas boutique. if you have one in your local mall you may want to check it out.  it was a good sized book with good quality paper for $15.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

gift-clalternate

https://www.francescas.com/product/secret-garden--an-inky-treasure-hunt-and-coloring.do?from=ac

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@TRUPHILLYLDY wrote:

Well isn't that special!