Occasional Contributor

Re: If you're into (the hobby of) coloring like I am now, how's it going for you?

I have become totally addicted to coloring and have gone crazy buying all kinds of coloring books, colored pencils and markers. All my other hobbies are being ignored and I have spent a fortune on them. But I don't care as I find coloring much less stressful than when I was obsessing over many cutting machines that were consistently having problems. I hope every one is enjoying coloring as much as I am.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you're into (the hobby of) coloring like I am now, how's it going for you?

If any of you have had hand, wrist, forearm or shoulder surgery and need to work on various muscle groups in the affected arm, coloring books are a great way to start your day, before you get into more heavy-duty therapy.

After my last hand surgery, I developed CRPS and had huge mobility issues, so went out and purchased a child's cloring book and big fat crayons.  I spent 30 minutes with that large coloring book 3x/day and found it to be very therapeutic.  Given the state of my hand, it was really difficult to stay within the lines!  Drove me nuts, but I made strides every day.

Anyway, just my two cents worth.

Valued Contributor

About a month ago, I picked up a book at Costco because I saw some interesting pictures to color. They were, I think, $10.

My daughter is an artist and she gave me some of her colored pencils, I like how Faber-Castell goes on easily and in shading. I found some nice metallic pencils at Michaels, Fine Touch, not really metallic looking like shiny, but it gives me more colors to use.  I don't have Crayola pencils, but she told me to stay away from Rose Art.

Honored Contributor

There are so many Crayola sets to choose from.  How do you pick?  Which set are you using, and where did you get them?  (See....I believe i indicated that the last thing I need is more pencils, and here I go (again!))!

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

There are so many Crayola sets to choose from.  How do you pick?  Which set are you using, and where did you get them?  (See....I believe i indicated that the last thing I need is more pencils, and here I go (again!))!

I just got a set of 50 of them. Got them at our Meijer's grocery store. (They have everything). But anyplace that has Crayola crayons would sell the pencils I think.

Honored Contributor

Thanks QG.  I just noticed a set of 50 plus a pencil sharpener on Amazon that will become available 8/1.  I went ahead an ordered that set.  I'm hopeless!!!!! ;-)  Thanks for your help!

Honored Contributor

When I mentioned the popularity of adult coloring books to my husband, he had a totally different idea of what I meant. That even got me wondering about their content.
Honored Contributor

I'm a purist. I use children's coloring books (my favorite is ****** and Jane), and Crayola crayons.  I did invest in a battery powered crayon sharpener a few years ago. It makes all the difference. It restores the point to what it was like new.

~ house cat ~
Valued Contributor

I am expecting some coloring books this week from HSN but I bought a couple at Hobby Lobby last weekend.  So enjoyable and relaxing.

Respected Contributor

I just bought my first book and crayola pencils and markers. With all the stores having their school supplies out its easy to find a large selection of pencils and markers at a good price.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown