Honored Contributor

If you're into (the hobby of) coloring like I am now, how's it going for you?

[ Edited ]

I find this so soothing. My life isn't as hectic as it once was, but I used to doodle and color it in. This is so right up my alley.

Just wondering how others are doing and if you've developed preferences in the patterns you enjoy coloring the most.

It really is very popular!!

Honored Contributor

Re: If you're into (the hobby of) coloring like I am now, how's it going for you?

Oh my goodness, I'm obsessed!!!  To the point of ridiculousness!!!!  I have "amassed" several coloring books, three sets of colored pencils, and some absolutely wonderful pens (Staedtler triplus fineliners).

I enjoy most all of the patterns, actually...mandelas, paisley, etc.  For my card making, I'm trying out a set of books I got from HSN.  It's a set of 4 small books by Hot Off the Press.  The paperstock is quite substantial.

What are you coloring, and with what?  Thanks for starting this thread.  Such a fun hobby!!!!!  (Did you get that set that was on TV (and also offered by HSN?  It's a set of 4 books, plus some pencils.  Great books!)

Contributor

Re: If you're into (the hobby of) coloring like I am now, how's it going for you?

As a holder of a fine arts degree from a very prestigious school, I thought something like this would certainly be beneath me!  I am retired now and not very stressed out these days but I don't do much of anything artistically anymore,just lazy ,I guess.  Well I saw an article about these adult coloring books and they looked really exciting.  In the old days I probably would want to be the book designer, but now I just want to  color someone else,s designs.  Told you I'm lazy.  Now I can't put the darn book down!  Wake up in the middle of the night plotting which colors to use on the next design.  I'm doing the mandala designs now, but am looking forward to my next book of Mehndi drawings.  They look like fun.  Also want to say that I like Crayola colored pencils better than the more expensive Prismacolor pencils.  Walmart has a box of 100 pencils for about  15 dollars.  The colors are great and go on very well. Have fun  with your new adventure!

Respected Contributor

@TRUPHILLYLDY wrote:

As a holder of a fine arts degree from a very prestigious school, I thought something like this would certainly be beneath me!  I am retired now and not very stressed out these days but I don't do much of anything artistically anymore,just lazy ,I guess.  Well I saw an article about these adult coloring books and they looked really exciting.  In the old days I probably would want to be the book designer, but now I just want to  color someone else,s designs.  Told you I'm lazy.  Now I can't put the darn book down!  Wake up in the middle of the night plotting which colors to use on the next design.  I'm doing the mandala designs now, but am looking forward to my next book of Mehndi drawings.  They look like fun.  Also want to say that I like Crayola colored pencils better than the more expensive Prismacolor pencils.  Walmart has a box of 100 pencils for about  15 dollars.  The colors are great and go on very well. Have fun  with your new adventure!

Thanks for the suggestions.  DD gave me several coloring books and some pencils recently - I guess she figured I needed a hobby.  Eye surgery coming up next month, so I'm not using them yet.  But I appreciate the suggestion about the colored pencils. The ones I got aren't the best.  I plan to give it a real try after the end of August.  Nice toknow others are enjoying this "craft".  

Trusted Contributor

My son sent me some great coloring books and a set of colored pencils...I have been coloring for about a week, and I find it so relaxing! Who knew?!

Super Contributor

I would love to get into this hobby, as I love to color. Any suggestions as to where to purchase the coloring books? Thanks for any help you can give me. Man LOL

Honored Contributor

I got my first set of coloring books from HSN (they were offering the set that is "As Seen on TV".  (It's a terrific set!!!!).  Since then, I've order more books and some supplies from Amazon.  Got my first set of Staedtler pens/markers at a local craft store, but then got a larger set from Amazon. Such fun!

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Oh my goodness, I'm obsessed!!!  To the point of ridiculousness!!!!  I have "amassed" several coloring books, three sets of colored pencils, and some absolutely wonderful pens (Staedtler triplus fineliners).

I enjoy most all of the patterns, actually...mandelas, paisley, etc.  For my card making, I'm trying out a set of books I got from HSN.  It's a set of 4 small books by Hot Off the Press.  The paperstock is quite substantial.

What are you coloring, and with what?  Thanks for starting this thread.  Such a fun hobby!!!!!  (Did you get that set that was on TV (and also offered by HSN?  It's a set of 4 books, plus some pencils.  Great books!)

Krimpette,

I have the HSN ones too. That's how I found out about those. Now have others too for multiple choice. My husband said I have pencil finger now. It got sore today. Have to stop for awhile. LOLI really enjoyed doing a horse, one that resembled one you'd see on a merry-go-round. I pretty much like most of the choices. I like the Crayola pencils best. Best made ones so far and colors are beautiful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Apple Crisp wrote:

I would love to get into this hobby, as I love to color. Any suggestions as to where to purchase the coloring books? Thanks for any help you can give me. Man LOL

HSN for starters has some books, as does Michael's, and Barnes & Noble. B&N, better choices. But do get the Crayola pencils (my choice) as best ones to use. Good pencil sharpner a must too. Have a ball. No rush, no real clean up. That's an A+ pointer. Yes, check out Amazon.com too.

Respected Contributor

A month or so ago, our local paper did a story on adult coloring books.  I had no idea they even existed and I would never have guessed that they are so popular.  Sadly, I was born with a creativity gene.  But I do have the desire to create things.  I  think coloring books might be something I would enjoy.  I think I'll check out Amazon...