Valued Contributor

Re: If you could retire anywhere in the USA

On 3/1/2015 StElmoQn said:

We bought our retirement property (acreage with several ponds) last summer in Paonia, Colorado. Paonia is located in the heart of the North Fork Valley, an area Forbes magazine called the ‘Golden Triangle’, and with good reason. Its farms, vineyards, ranches, natural beauty, and its proximity to National Forests, Telluride and Aspen, create an unparalleled quality of life that has been compared to that of Provence, France. It is paradise -- 4 seasons, yet despite the proximity to the ski areas is in a banana belt which gets some snow but nothing like our neighbors over the pass.

It is an area that is growing in leaps and bounds because of the many vineyards that are going in and producing excellent wines. My fear is that it will turn into another Napa or Sonoma, but for now it is paradise. My husband is taking early retirement this summer and we will start building our retirement home in the next few months.

This is absolutely beautiful. Hope you have many happy years in your new home.

Respected Contributor

On 3/1/2015 traveler said:

We are thinking about this now. We don't want a conservative state run by republicans so many states have been crossed off our list.

Oh really?? I'm going back to Wyomimg, so I don't have to pay all the taxes I do everywhere else I have lived. Let's see, you could live in NY or CA where the taxes are super high and they are full of Liberals..
Honored Contributor

In 10, maybe 12 years; we will be able to retire to anywhere in the USA and hubby and I are in agreement, that we won't spend our summers in MA. We'll have grandchildren by then. So, relocating year round won't be an option. We want to be a part of grandchildren's lives. So, we'll spend Jan-April in a warm weather location. We just haven't figured out where that will be. It could be FL but we're going to spend a two weeks in AZ in the fall. The plan is to travel around to get a feel for locations.

Trusted Contributor

Wow, its great to here the diversed places and reasons, a lot to think about. How the state is run (taxes) and laws, weather, quality of life, proximity to family, access to medical, safety; our lifestyle is going to change after 60. I live in SDiego, what I love is the weather, you could go to desert, mountains and beach in one day (we have before). Its a large city/county with different communities reflecting different attitudes and has a small town vibe. SD has grown over the 25 yrs weve been here(born in so. Ca) which brings traffic and more housing; our fields are now developments and more crime (thats not a big prob). We have canyons and hills so thats a positive re. developments. Great replies.
Honored Contributor

We have friends who have done this and then move back here. DH says many times if one of the two becomes ill the other one needs old friends and family.

It is also hard to sell your home in todays market and then look for new doctors,etc.

But when it comes to living there is no place like home.

One of our friends moved to Florida and found it too hot in the summer and moved back here.

They had sold a beautiful custom built home and when moving back here ended up in a trailer park.

Respected Contributor

My little piece of heaven here in Indiana. Grew up in San Diego - moved back to my home state after I turned 50. Only wish I had done it earlier. Listening to the geese fly over every morning, watching the deer in my front yard, looking out on a horse farm across from my house - I'm blessed. Snow is tough sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for anywhere else in the world.

Frequent Contributor

Hoggie - i am leaning towards Spartanburg area since i have family there and grew up in the South - how would you define the differences between Spartanburg area and Greenville?

mstraditional: Greenville and Spartanburg SC basically run together. I'm not as familiar with Spartanburg although I pass through there frequently traveling from Greenville to Charlotte. There is a lot of countryside (peaches I think) and lakes. I believe Greenville (outskirts) may be just a little more mountainous. It is perfectly located between Greenville, Charlotte and Asheville. I have several friends who are from Spartanburg and it sounds lovely. My sister attended University of South Carolina Spartanburg campus. If you do come into the area try to visit the Greenville area also....downtown is pretty. ....again, the location is great....not too awfully far from Atlanta either.

Respected Contributor

I'd head for New England: it's beautiful year-round (and, being from Michigan, I'm used to snow).

Contributor

Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro,GA. Moved here from Cape Cod 10 years ago. Look it up , it's fabulous!
Trusted Contributor

On 3/1/2015 mominohio said:
On 3/1/2015 imaclotheshog said:

DH is from North Carolina and still has family there. But due to the politics it is on our "don't even consider" list.

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} What does that even mean? The parts of North Carolina I've visited were very nice.

What does politics have to do with where you live anyway? I would not discount living in a state because of politics, whatever that means.

Politics are very important to us. We've learned from experience that a state turns from blue to red and lots of strange laws emerge.

Those blue states generally have higher taxes, and support much bigger poverty populations and social programs, which also can correlate to more crime and all that goes with it. They also may have excessive regulations in anything from gun ownership to the environment, being more restrictive and expensive to maintain (think California)

As a general rule, you will find lower taxes and more freedoms in more conservative states.

So very, very true. We live in a red state and find it an excellent place to live! I think some of you have been watching too many DNC commercials........you know, the kind where the "evil red-state crowd" is pushing Grandma's wheelchair over a cliff.........

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}