Honored Contributor

Re: If You Watch HGTV ...

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA  Agree!  I like Hillary and David on Love It or List It although it has become repetitive.  Also enjoy Flip or Flop which, BTW, is on Thursday nights here in Chicago.  Also like HH International when they go to an area I'm curious about.  Have not watched any of the others and have no interest in doing so.

Respected Contributor

I'll watch pretty much anything on HGTV. Every show has a format that they repeat again and again. I like Home Town, not so much for their decorating ideas, but for who Ben and Erin seem to be. The closet to my taste would probably be Hilary Farr and Nate Berkus. I do enjoy both House Hunters. My latest find is Escape to the Chateau. Not my taste at all, but that husband and wife seem to be the most interesting couple on the channel. One show I will not put on is anything with Chip Gaines. Can't stand him for many reasons.

Respected Contributor

Hi @Oznell  . The shows I listed renovate, redesign, and/or restore the property. Jonathan Knight's Farmhouse Rescue is very different from Hillary Farr's designs on Love It or List It. Erin & Ben Napier's design aesthetic greatly differs from Christina & Tarek's on Flip or Flop. Windy City Rescue looked to old world Chicago for restoration. Etc. So, the question I'm asking is whether posters prefer one of the design aesthetics on one show over the design aesthetics on the other shows. The design styles vary on the different shows that are listed. 

Honored Contributor

I am pretty tired of Home Town--too much, overkill, starting the celebrity route of always on tv, new products, sell sell sell.

I like Love it or List it, but Hillary is one of the most obnoxious people on the planet at least on the show.   So I only see it when I happen on to it.  Which is rarely. 

Respected Contributor

I like Unsellable Houses with the twins Leslie and Lindsay.  There arent many episodes and I've already seen re-runs.  I like how they modernize dated homes.   

Honored Contributor

Let's see,  @Desert Lily --  I'd say, as far as strictly design aesthetics of those shows listed, none of them really hit it home with me (I don't know about the two I've never seen, "Farmhouse Fixer" or "Almost Home").

My preferred style, that is an amalgam of 'worn' English country house, midcentury modern, Art Deco, layered and curated but not crowded nor "cutesy"--   is not really reflected in the current HGTV line-up.   'Grandmillenial' style to me is a too sort of froo-froo interpretation of traditional that can be too 'cliche fussy' for my taste.

I'll rather grandly give my aesthetic the shorthand moniker of "mod cottage",  lacking any better description....

This is a fun thread!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A newer one I've enjoyed watching is "No Demo Reno"            (Jenn Todryk) the designer.

I like  "Home Again"..Leanne Ford.

And I still enjoy watching "Love it or List it" with Hilary and David. 

Almost forgot "Nate and Jeremiah" ~ Save my House.. some of the work the show is beautiful !

~love hard~~play hard~~be kind~~~life is short~
Super Contributor

I wish the producers of the reno/real estate shows would become more creative.  As some have mentioned the repetitive scripting has become tiresome.  We fast forward through the banter to see the showings and final decisions.

Contributor

I am enjoying No Demo Reno with Jennifer Todryk.  FInd it refreshing that there is very little "demo", the budgets are more realistic, and she sometimes sells items from the home to make a little money towards the project. (cabinet doors, etc).  

I also like Good Bones.  Another show with ideas that I can possibly fit into my budget, and are not so same as last week in feel.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bri369 ...  I LOVE Candace Olsen !!  I think she is my FAVORITE designer and I miss her on HGTV ...  I bought a few of her books and she just nails my decorating taste every time !!  I have never been a fan of loud screaming color on the walls and her soothing colors speak volumes to me ...  if I want color I will add it myself over time ...